Chapter 7

When Emily was 17 years old, a tragic event reshaped the course of her life, leaving an indelible mark on her heart

When Emily was 17 years old, a tragic event reshaped the course of her life, leaving an indelible mark on her heart. It was a cool spring night, just after a two-month dry spell had finally ended with the much-awaited rainfall. Emily and her best friend, Lucy, who had recently obtained her driver's permit, decided to take a drive around the neighbourhood. The roads, however, were treacherously slippery from the fresh downpour. As they set out on their adventure, little did they know that this innocent drive would forever alter their destinies. 

Inexperienced behind the wheel, Lucy struggled to maintain control of the car on the slick streets. They were driving too fast and before she could react, the vehicle skidded out of control and tragically flipped over. In that split second, the world turned upside down, and the lives of these two young friends were irrevocably changed. Lucy, full of life and laughter, was taken from this world in an instant, leaving Emily to face the heart-wrenching reality of her absence. The accident had snatched away her only friend, the only person who truly understood her, the one who brought out the carefree and playful side of her personality. 

Lucy had been more than a friend; she had been Emily's confidante, partner in mischief, and the very essence of joy in her life. From the earliest days of their childhood, they formed an unbreakable bond, becoming inseparable. Every waking moment was an adventure with Lucy by her side, and together, they explored the world with wide-eyed wonder and mischievous delight. 

During the warm seasons, the two girls would often escape to the woods nearby. Sneaking out under the veil of twilight, they ventured to a hidden stream, its gentle babbling becoming a soothing soundtrack to their adventures. Together, they crafted a secret sanctuary, fashioning a tent out of old blankets from their homes. With careful precision, they ensured the blankets' absence would go unnoticed by their parents, keeping their playful escapades hidden from the watchful eyes of the grown-ups. In this secret hideaway, they felt invincible, cocooned in their own little world of laughter and shared dreams. They would spend hours lying on the soft grass, telling stories, giggling over inside jokes, and revelling in the sheer bliss of each other's company. Time seemed to suspend, and the worries of the world were mere whispers in the distance. 

As the years rolled on, their bond deepened, and they faced every hurdle with unfaltering support and shared strength. But fate had a brutal twist in store, and that fateful night, when they ventured on a drive, destiny played a cruel hand, snatching Lucy away in the blink of an eye. The once-vibrant laughter that filled their world was silenced, leaving Emily shattered and forever haunted by the loss of her dearest friend. From that sorrowful night, the woods, once a place of enchantment, turned into a haunting reminder of the laughter that once danced among the trees. Emily's heartache led her to avoid the woods, unwilling to confront the bittersweet memories that lingered within those verdant shadows.

Lucy was the only daughter of the Garnetts. Living next door to Emily, the two families were like extended kin, and the bond between the girls made their friendship feel like sisterhood. After the accident, the Garnetts could hardly bear the thought of continuing to reside in the place that now overflowed with poignant memories of their beloved daughter. Each corner of their home whispered of Lucy's laughter, dreams, and the promise of a future that would never come to fruition. Every room and nook, once filled with her vibrant spirit, now echoed with a profound absence that weighed heavily on their hearts. The house, once a symbol of family togetherness and growth, became a painful reminder of the unfathomable loss they had endured. It held within its walls the laughter they would never hear again, the milestones they would never witness, and the love they would forever miss.