Chapter 14

"Come in," resonated the voice of Mrs Kargle from within her office

"Come in," resonated the voice of Mrs Kargle from within her office. The invitation hung in the air as Emily crossed the threshold, her senses tingling with a blend of intrigue and bewilderment. Rare were the instances when she summoned anyone to her office.

Seating herself upon the chair that faced the imposing black metal desk, Emily found herself under the keen gaze of Mrs Kargle. The atmosphere bore an air of solemnity. It reminded her of an interrogation room—though Emily had never set foot in such a place, she was certain this is what it must feel like for those who had: an unsettling blend of anxiety and tension. A heavy silence settled in the room, Mrs Kargle's eyes scrutinizing Emily's every nuance. Bafflement edged into Emily's consciousness, prompting her to breach the quiet.

"May I ask why you called me in here?"

A pause, taut as a wire, suspended the air. Emily anticipated the continuation, her pulse quickening under the weight of the gaze. Her palms began to moisten, a reaction unfounded in guilt, for she knew not of any wrongdoing.

"I deem it rather inappropriate for you to draw me into your personal affairs."

A perplexing mixture of surprise and confusion clouded Emily's thoughts. The words hung suspended, her mind attempting to decipher what was happening before her.

"I'm afraid I don't understand," Emily finally ventured, her furrowed brow bespoke her puzzlement.

"Don't feign ignorance!"

The words cut through the air like a knife, a momentary flash of anger in the principal's eyes. It was as swift as it was alarming, casting a shade of discomfort across the room. Emily swallowed, sensing the shift in atmosphere.

"Allow me to clarify, Miss Ewans. Maxwell wanted me to inform you tha-"

"Maxwell?" 

„Don't pret-" Mrs Kargle's words were momentarily interrupted, her expression taking an unusual turn. A fleeting sense of nervousness played across the principal's features, swiftly replaced by a composed façade. Emily couldn't shake the feeling that something had been inadvertently revealed. She was convinced that Mrs Kargle attempted to mask a nervous gulp that Emily's perceptive gaze managed to catch. Her mental gears churned as she sought to piece together the puzzle.

Did she just let slip something she shouldn't have?

Mrs Kargle's discourse continued, "As I was saying, you will not be seeing Alex anymore. Now, let me clarify, it was Alex who requested I pass on this message. It reflects his decision, and he hopes you'll treat it with due respect. To be perfectly candid, adhering to it might prove prudent. Alex does have a knack for inviting trouble, as I'm certain you've already discerned."

The words struck a chord inside Emily, setting off a storm of mixed emotions.

So now he's not suitable for my company, but he's deemed competent to care for a five-year-old on his own? It doesn't quite add up. And why on earth did she refer to him as Maxwell? Did I hear it correctly?