Chapter 16

Emily watched Mrs Kargle drive away

Emily watched Mrs Kargle drive away. She stood there for a few moments in shock.

What the hell is going on? What did Alex do? Who's he running from and why the hell would they be coming after ME? How's Annie involved in all of it and why does Mrs Kargle care so much? Does this have anything to do with the figures I've been seeing? Are they after Alex? But wait, if that were the case, wouldn't he be seeing them as well? Then again, we've never discussed it. Maybe he IS seeing them. Damn it, Emily, think!

She smacked her palm against her forehead in frustration.

That comment from Mrs Kargle yesterday... Why did she make such a big deal about it being Alex's choice not to see me anymore? I have a gut feeling that it's not entirely his decision. I want answers! Ugh, why do I always get involved in things that promise nothing but trouble? Oh well, at least Lucy would be proud to see me taking risks again. Or am I risking too much this time? I obviously can't find the line between normal and downright reckless. What do you think, Lully? Should I keep digging? Yeah, I agree. I have to look into it, I need to speak with Alex. After all, he's the one that dragged me into this mess. Oh, who am I kidding? I WANT to be involved now. Crap, Emily, work! GO!

She mounted her bike and pedalled away.

Amid the humdrum of her workplace, Emily couldn't shake the relentless barrage of unanswered questions clouding her mind. Mrs Kargle's tardy entrance that morning added another layer to the mystery. Emily had watched her leave for work earlier, so her reappearance after a lengthy absence left Emily feeling like she'd stumbled into a detective novel.

Determined to get to the bottom of it all, she couldn't help but be drawn to the sound of Mrs Kargle's ringing phone throughout the day. She'd dart to the office doors, attempting to eavesdrop on any morsels of information. Her actions, though discreet, did not go unnoticed by Lydia, who cast knowing glances in Emily's direction, but hadn't said a word about it.

Yet, despite her covert efforts, Emily gleaned little from Mrs Kargle's conversations. The clock eventually struck four, and parents began arriving. Emily stood by the entrance, waving goodbye to the kids, when the familiar ringtone sounded again. Emily closed the door and retreated to the corridor leading to the principal's office, leaning in to catch the conversation beyond.

"...lives there. Calm down. She was a baby when she last saw him, how could she remember him? And even if she did, she doesn't know anything, so there's no reason to panic."

Finally, a snippet of information.

"Then just keep dodging her calls, and problem solved. No need to be overdramatic."

Is that..? No, it can't be.

"By the way, have you heard from Elaine these days?"

Elaine?

"Because Max says she hasn't checked in yesterday and she's not answering her phone today either."

Max – that's Alex, no doubt, but who is this Elaine person?