Chapter 13

Fury surged within her

He had been here all along and he didn't even bother to tell me?!

Her hands clenched as anger consumed her. She pondered her next move.

I hope he comes out so I can give him a piece of my mind. The audacity of this wretched man.

Her mind started racing.

Actually, hold on. What am I doing? What do I expect him to say? What could possibly be my gain from this? I should leave.

Suddenly, footsteps approached, prompting her to swiftly choose to flee. She began walking away briskly. She mounted her horse and heard the door creak open.

"Emily?" Alex's voice echoed.

She chose silence. She didn't want to turn around, merely urging her horse to speed away. She simply wanted to go home.

"Shit!"

His curse was the last thing she caught before his voice faded away. Arriving home, she settled Hazel into the stable, then entered the house in a seething manner, slamming the door.

"Shit??? Who does he think he is? He's an asshole, that's what he is!" she exclaimed while grappling with her jacket, the zipper stubbornly resisting.

"Come on, just come off!" She directed her frustration at the zipper, yanking it with more force.

"You know what? Screw you!" she declared, and with a swift, aggressive motion, removed the jacket by pulling it over her head.

"And screw him too!" she added, dropping the jacket on the floor.

In a huff, she stormed into the kitchen, grabbing a whiskey bottle. Without bothering with a glass, she drank straight from the bottle.

"Emily?" a voice called from outside.

"Are you in there?" Alex's voice persisted.

"Nope," she retorted.

"Come out. Let's talk."

Fueled by anger, she went around turning off the lights in each room, switch by switch. The curtains followed suit, drawn shut with a firm tug, as if closing a door on his presence. In these simple yet purposeful acts, she was making it clear that she didn't want to lay eyes on him or hear a word he had to say.

"You can't stay in forever," he said.

"Oh, I believe staying in here is a better choice... for you," she muttered to herself.

"Fine, I'm leaving now. We can chat when you're feeling better."

Initially, she was dead set on giving him the cold shoulder until he got the hint and left. But that last sentence struck a nerve and without a second thought, she stormed outside and let her anger loose on him.