Chapter 9

Emily took a final look around the nursery to ensure everything was in its place before switching off the lights and heading out

Emily took a final look around the nursery to ensure everything was in its place before switching off the lights and heading out. After locking the front door, she turned around and saw Alex leaning against the tall birch tree nearby—the same spot he occupied the day before. This time, though, she wasn't surprised; she had grown accustomed to his sudden appearances. 

She started walking toward him, a familiar grin on his face, and she felt his eyes tracing her every move, from her tiptoes to her eyes. It made her feel surprisingly good. She felt seen and she wasn't accustomed to that feeling. Usually she felt invisible. Invisible to the whole world, unimportant to anyone. 

"You could at least try to be less obvious," she teased.

"You mean like you were at the café? Or in the hallway earlier today?" 

Emily felt her nervousness surge like lightning. She hadn't expected such a response and started stuttering, trying to come up with a witty comeback. But he quickly eased the tension by saying, "Relax, stary."

She looked at him sternly, letting him know that she wasn't pleased with the new nickname. Nevertheless, he leaned off the birch and moved closer to her. As a gentle breeze played with a strand of her hair, he gently tucked it behind her ear, his proximity making her squirm with both excitement and nervousness. 

"It's funny when you get all nervous."

Playfully, Emily pushed him away and changed the subject, "Anywaaay, how was your day with Marnie? Did she forgive you?"

"Uuu, very smooth, miss Em," he teased. Emily crossed her arms and looked at him. 

"Fine, I'll stop," he said, raising his hands in surrender. "You can ask Marnie yourself. She's waiting for us."

Emily assumed they would head to the café, but Alex pointed to the playground behind her. Turning around, she saw an excited Marnie waving at her. Emily felt a blush creeping up, realizing that Marnie could see, maybe even hear, everything from there. 

"Are you serious? You could've told me that before, you know."

Laughing, Alex replied, "Don't worry, I've been told she's great at keeping secrets."

"You're an idiot. You know that, right?" Emily playfully scolded as she started walking toward the playground.

"Meh, I've been called worse," Alex shrugged, thoroughly amused by her embarrassment.

As they approached, Marnie came running to them, her small frame engulfing Emily in a heartwarming hug. The love and innocence in the little girl's eyes made Emily's heart swell with affection. However, her recent embarrassment lingered, and Marnie's question only added to it. 

"Are you two boyfriend and girlfriend, then?" Marnie blurted out, her curiosity shining through.

Emily chuckled, trying to hide her embarrassment, and replied, "No, sweetie. We're just really good friends, right?"