Chapter 15

As Emily emerged from Mrs Kargle's office, she headed to the kitchen to collect her thoughts

You need to control yourself. You can't let her get to you like that. What would you do if you lost this job? Don't be naive. If you keep blurting things out like that, she WILL fire you. You need to keep it together. Mom should be coming home next week and everything will be better then. Just hold on.

With a deep sigh, Emily rose from the chair and started preparing the workspace. The rest of the day passed quickly. The conversation replayed in her mind, a mental loop she had been caught in. But with a steely resolve, she decided it was time to release the grip that the discussion had on her psyche. She concluded that the best course of action was to let Alex's presence fade from her thoughts, a decision that marked a conscious effort to regain some semblance of her ordinary life.

Though her 'ordinary' life was a far cry from the existence she had once envisioned, it was, at least, a quieter one. The air around her felt less turbulent without the ceaseless drama that had enshrouded her existence as of late. Emily yearned for a break from the tempestuous emotions that had become her constant companions.

Upon returning home, Emily's first order of business was to attend to her horses. Their presence offered her a sense of stability and a connection to the simpler aspects of life. Her equine companions demanded nothing more than her care and attention, providing a grounding force amidst the chaos that often swirled around her.

With her responsibilities to the horses fulfilled, Emily turned her attention to the evening's meal. Lasagna was on the menu, her absolute favourite. It held a special place in her heart because it was a dish she had savoured every Saturday at the Garnetts' house when Lucy was still with her.

As she began the preparation, she decided to break her self-imposed radio silence. It had been a long while since the airwaves had filled her home with music. Emily flipped the switch, and the radio sprung to life, its speakers reverberating with an assortment of melodies, each carrying its own memories and emotions. The playlist unfolded as an auditory tapestry of moments long past. Songs stirred feelings both warm and wistful within her.

It wasn't until the end of her culinary endeavors that the song "Two of us" began to play, as if summoned by the depths of her memories. Emily, bent down to check the meal's progress in the oven, was suddenly enveloped in the familiar tune. A smile formed on her lips, unbidden, as she recalled the spirited dance sessions she and Lucy had shared in her bedroom or in their tent, their voices raised in joyful harmony to the song's lyrics. "You and I have memories; Longer than the road; That stretches out ahead; Two of us wearing raincoats; Standing solo in the sun; You and me chasing paper; Getting nowhere; On our way back home."

It was a tune that had transcended mere music; it was an anthem of their friendship. Emily hadn't heard that song in years. The radio had been silenced, a consequence of the pain it invoked. But in that moment, she was transported back to the days when life had been simpler, happier, and filled with the exuberance of youth.