Chapter 11

Emily took another sip of her coffee, trying to push away the nagging thoughts

Emily took another sip of her coffee, trying to push away the nagging thoughts. Maybe he simply needed more time to open up completely, she thought. After all, he had shared some deeply personal stories already, and perhaps there were other painful memories he was still grappling with. She felt torn between respecting his privacy and wanting to understand him better. As she finished her coffee, she made a decision. If they were going to continue exploring their connection, honesty would be essential. She knew she had to find the right moment to broach the subject, to let him know that she cared about him and wanted to know him fully, scars and all. 

With a determined resolve, Emily set aside her cup and went about her day. The hours passed slowly, the anticipation of their next meeting persisting in her mind. They agreed to meet each other at the same place and at the same time. She hoped that their next meeting would bring more clarity, that they could open up to each other completely and forge an even deeper bond.

As the clock struck 9 that night, Emily sat by the window, her heart pounding with anticipation. She waited for the familiar knock on the door, but it never came. Disappointment swept through her like a tide, and a wave of sadness threatened to consume her. 

"What did I do wrong?" she murmured, her voice trembling with emotion. 

Trying to calm herself down, she repeated in her mind, It's probably not me. He must have something to sort out with Marnie. He'll come tomorrow with an explanation. I'm sure of it.

With those hopeful thoughts in mind, she eventually drifted off to sleep, though rest eluded her for most of the night. 

The next morning, Emily arrived at the nursery with a mixture of eagerness and trepidation, her heart fluttering with the hope of catching a glimpse of Alex. She scanned the surroundings as she entered, but there was no sign of him. Instead, Marnie was brought in by Mrs Kargle as usual, her bright smile and innocent demeanor slightly easing Emily's disappointment. The urge to inquire about Alex's absence tugged at her, but she hesitated. After their strange interaction the other day, she thought it would be best to keep Mrs Kargle out of their personal affairs. Emily knew that the nursery owner had genuine care for both Alex and Marnie, and she didn't want to burden her with their potential drama. 

Throughout the day, Emily found herself unconsciously trying to subtly ask Marnie about her brother's whereabouts. She would begin to form questions and then quickly halt herself, feeling guilty at the thought of using the little girl as a source of information about Alex. She had already been through so much, and Emily didn't want to add to her troubles.

As the hours passed, Emily's hope of seeing Alex dwindled. She tried to focus on her work, but her mind kept drifting back to him, wondering why he was avoiding her and what could have gone wrong between them. By the end of the day, her optimism had waned, and she resigned herself to the fact that he might not show up after all. She couldn't help but feel a sense of loss for the connection they had started to build. She wondered if she had misjudged their evening together. With a heavy heart, Emily left the nursery that day, hoping that perhaps tomorrow would bring some clarity or a chance encounter with Alex.