6. Two's a company, Three's a crowd.

Context: When Meerab prepares dinner for Murtasim to pull him out of his anger. But sadly, that does not end up into a romantic dinner like Meerab imagined. I still do feel she had fallen for him because considering how she is, she wouldn't have gone to such an extent to cook food & prepare an entire course meal for a husband she did not want. LOL. So here goes my interpretation of what happens next after Meerab and Murtasim come down the stairs & Meerab stomps off to their room leaving Murtasim with all the food that had got cold.

———

Murtasim stares at the display of dishes infront of him. His wife, his Meerab had gone to such lengths & effort to prepare him food. He could clearly see, she had painstakingly made his favourites - Biryani & Kheer. He always wanted to share this with her - always wanted her to this side to him, of his likes, dislikes, share a different picture of him rather than of the Khan Murtasim Khan she had known until now.

He called for the maid & asked her to heat up the food & bring it in a trolley to his room. He wanted to enter with the food, so he waited and after what seemed like eons - made his way to their room.

When he entered the narrow passage way, he could hear silent sobs, immediately asking the maid to leave him & the trolley with him. He paused for a moment, regretting what he'd asked of Meerab. Asking her to jump off the balcony was not a good idea. At all. Contemplating what his next course of action would be, carrying the trolley with him silently. What he saw broke his heart further. Meerab sat by the dressing table, her palms covering her eyes and she was sobbing.

Meerab heard slight commotion. Lifting her head to turn towards the source, she saw Murtasim gaping, his lips parted, eyes full of regret, his face slowly losing colour. She brought the edge of her dupatta to quickly wipe her face and got up, moving past Murtasim to the other end of the room. But before she could turn towards her side - Murtasim spoke.

"Meerab kuch Kha lo please, I know tum mera 8 ghante se intezaar kar rahi ho- tumne bhi kuch khaya nahi hoga"

"Meri bhook mit chukki hai" Meerab ignored him, but she did not move away instead she turned around, now facing him - ready to confront. "You actually asked me to kill myself, Murtasim?" Tears welling in her eyes once again. She couldn't believe it. The man who had been flirting with her, displaying care and tenderness, fighting with his family each time someone pointed fingers at her - had just asked her to jump off the balcony to prove her innocence.

"Meerab tüm jaanti ho main tumhe kudne nahi deta, tumhare saath mar jata main". His words seemed empty to her.

"Ye sirf bone wali baatein hai but jab baat tumhare izzat ki aati hai ya mujhpe aitbaar karne ki baat ati hai tum saari hade paar kar jaate ho, what you asked of me today - made me question everything."

"I am sorry Meerab, I messed up, but trust me I wouldn't have let you fall"

"I should trust you?" Meerab had a frown on her face. He had the audacity to ask her to trust him, after the stunt he pulled. After she had waited for 8 hours with the food she had prepared with so much love. He not only stood her up, but asked her to die.

"Meerab...." Murtasim trailed, his eyes wandering, looking around the room. This place was going to witness yet another unpleasant situation. This would be etched as part of its memory.

But he continued as he fixed eyes to the ground, unable to meet her eyes. "Meerab I am insecure about you, I am always on the edge, always worried that you may leave me. And seeing you with Rohail was nail in the coffin for me. Another horrible reminder that you are with me out of compulsion" Having finished he looked up at her.