10. Marham

Context: This is after Murtasim & Meerab's car accident, when Murtasim gets to know that Meerab was wrongly asked to leave the Haveli accusing her of endangering Murtasim's life & brings her back. I know the scene was one of nicely directed ones & while their bickering was cute the next morning. I was a little put off by her reaction to him touching her hair.

Scene

Murtasim lay on his back. He was not able to sleep well, the acute sense of having his wife next to him on the same bed, sent shivers through his spine. The fact that she felt safe enough to share space with him, warmed his heart. He felt shuffling of the covers next to him, as he turned his head to the right, he Meerab's body facing him, her soft hair covering her face. He gulped unknowingly, he knew the effect and the hold she had over him but she looked like a morning sunrise, it almost felt like she had a halo over her, as if she herself was an angel sent to earth for him. He stared at her in disbelief, of her beauty, the soft whimpering she left, her warm breath, and their closeness. He pulled his pillow with his good hand, ignoring the sharp pain on his other arm. He brought himself even closer. Their arms in contact with each other, he wanted to get a better look at her.

With a mind of their own, he brought his fingertips to slowly brush her hair strands away from her face, which had covered her face like a curtain, hiding her from him and he couldn't stand it any longer. As he uncovered her face, his breath hitched, and time stood still. He was mesmerized by her once again. But his moment was short-lived because Meerab stirred and fidgeted for a few seconds before opening her eyes, her eyes falling on his palm still resting on her face, her eyes slowly darted and finally falling on him. A sudden fear engulfed him, he did not have permission for such proximity. But he did cup her face last evening and she didn't move, but what if she didn't want to be caught sleeping next to him? He jerked his hand away, but a soft arm held him.

He looked at her confused, unsure of what Meerab was feeling. She held his hand in hers and brought it closer to her face. Her eyes were glossy. He was trying to comprehend her inner turmoil. This was a first for him. Meerab acting on her own accord and touching him. Her hands trailed to his wrist as he held it for a little longer. She was fighting her tears as a soft sniff left her. He looked at her, his eyes darting left -right-left as looked into her eyes. And then it dawned upon him, she did not have a chance to come to terms with the accident. The family did not let them meet. He misunderstood her the previous, shouting at her, asking her to leave. And she was about to leave heartbroken by his until his wise sister dropped the truth and he then he knew what he had to do. Bring his wife back to him, that's her rightful place, the only place she should ever be, with him.

He brought himself closer still, ignoring the pain flowing through his body. For him, the tears rolling down Meerab's cheeks brought him greater pain. "Meerab kya hua?"

She shook her head, not willing to spill the state of her heart. He brought his head closer until their foreheads touched each other. They were breathing the same, Meerab did not flinch or move away. She continued sniffing. "Meerab, I am fine. I am alright."

She gave a faint nod, but tears spilled, she gulped, and her eyes shut - wanting to repress the tragic night. Events surrounding the accident played in front of her eyes. She held his wrist tight, holding it closer to her. "I can feel your pulse now", she said, and her eyes met his. The pain and fear in their eyes were apparent and it tinged his heart. How could he be so careless? How could he drive like that, how could he endanger her life like that? He had saved her but awakened a fear that she lived with every moment. "When I gained consciousness, all I could see was blood, and then I saw you, your face covered with blood..." her lips trembling, but she spilled out. "And then I tried to reach you and I couldn't find your pulse, I was so scared.." She cried, meeting eyes briefly.