13. Pain and Passion

Context - When Murtasim comes back to take Meerab but he is met with the sight of Saba and of course, Rohail sitting in front of her. He is heartbroken to say the least and decides to leave the very second.

Scene.

Meerab rushes after him, she couldn't believe Murtasim was back for her. She had missed him. Knees tucked to her chest, sitting on the bed, hardly getting any sleep. She has only and only thought of him. And here he was, here to bring her back but leaving without a word. She couldn't let him leave. Not like that.

So, she rushed behind him, reaching for his arm, wanting to pull him towards her stopping him right at the tread of the staircase. He turned and looked at her with anger, his eyes a pool of disappointment, hurt and regret that he came all the way to pick her up but he was sadly a witness to a terrible sight of betrayal. He did not even spare a look at Rohail. How could he be angry at a stranger, when someone he loves deeply could hurt him once again. 

Meerab searched his eyes, with yearning. She had to speak to him, she had to tell him the truth. 

"Kya dekhna baaki reh gaya hai Meerab, sab to dekh liya hai Maine" Murtasim growled at her, not wanting to hear another word. Every syllable coming out of her would only taste of poison. 

"Murtasim tumne us waqt bhi nahi suni thi meri baat, aaj bhi tum bina sune mujhpe shaq kar rahe ho" Meerab unrelenting, kept holding him by his arm. "Mujhe to bas saba leke aa rahi thi yaha, mera mann behelane ke liye" 

"Achha to ye kya kar raha hai yaha", Murtasim interjected.
"Murtasim, he is part of the same...." before Meerab could finish, "I am not blind, I can see what is happening, I heard what he said, and I have heard enough" Murtasim spoke. 

He shook his head in disbelief, shrugging his arm of Meerab's hold. "Enjoy with your friends, that's more important" With that he stomped off, climbing down the stairs. Meerab was dumbfounded, tears cascaded down her face. Again. He was leaving her once again. Without having heard her. 

Determined in her resolve. She followed him, not concerned of the stairs she missed as climbed down, and her sandals began skidding on the groves of the steps, she called for him. He couldn't have climbed down that far. The restaurant was on the third floor. 

As she skid again, her feet in the air, her back bumping twice, thrice on the step groves, she winced and screamed of pain. 

Murtasim who was well aware of Meerab coming after him, stopped in his steps, having heard her scream of pain. He ran up the stairs, finding his way back to Meerab. Even in anger, her pain was unfathomable for him. 

Meerab took a minute to gather herself, pushing her elbow from the steps, taking support of the railing. She stood up, her back hurt, she held her lower back by the palm of her left hand and shut her eye, wanting to absorb the pain, wanting to continue running after Murtasim. Her right foot bare, and her ankle hurting as she took a couple of steps. Lifting her foot, so that only the toe touched the ground, and holding the railing for support. 

Murtasim reached her by then, picking up the discarded sandal that must have flown due to her fall. He reached her, quickly glancing around to see if she was good. Motioning her to settle on the step. He lifted her feet, assessing her ankle, checking for any signs of hurt. "I think you've mildly twisted your ankle, you'll be good" He stood up, his indifference piercing through Meerab. 

"Murtasim, please I just came here with Saba because I needed to get out, and she just wanted me to feel okay for a while, I have been really sad the past few days" He did not hear. He didn't care for any details. Placing her discarded sandal back into her feet. He said as he got up. "Meerab I saw you leave the house with Rohail, so please I cannot stand here and listen to you make excuses"