9. Stand by me.

Murtasim reached the garden attached to their living room premises. Standing at the entrance he could see Meerab quietly sitting on the bench, lost in her thoughts, the light evening breeze swaying her hair. She was upset and rightly so. He had shouted at her and that too at the top of his voice. Manipulated by Haya for her evil ulterior motives of seeking Murtasim and having him all to her self for her personal benefits.

Meerab was hurt. Everyone had somehow decided to have free access to Meerab in terms of how they could treat her, or talk to her. But, Murtasim. Murtasim, despite having displayed obnoxious behavior towards her in the beginning had begun to show tender care, understand her perspective, cater to her needs, and in fact protect her. But, he too had faltered like everyone else and had taken liberties in treating her like a nobody and with disrespect.

She sat, her eyes glossy. Even though Murtasim had tried to make reparations, offered to help her pursue her higher education. But, she was still upset.

Murtasim had come closer to where she sat by now. Each of his steps, made slight sound of the grass crunching under his kolhapuri. Him wrapped around his cashmere shawl, and took a seat next to Meerab, cautiously, treading carefully, not wanting to awaken his lioness.

She was acutely aware of his presence but tried to pay no heed to it. He placed both his hands on the surface of the bench, lifting his body a little to shift even closer to her, their thighs touching completely. Meerab's body twitched, not sure how to respond, and before she could move her body, Murtasim's right arm came behind her, encircling her back, his palm resting on the side of her right thigh,, pulling her towards, bringing her closer still.

She took a sharp breath and closed her eyes. They had started to slowly pull down their walls, overcoming their apprehensions towards each other, sharing their beds, talking until the wee hours, and sharing the evening tea. Their shared spaces had ignited a fire of passion within them.

Murtasim's brought his face closer to Meerab, blowing softly on her hair, taking in her sweet fragrance, he left a soft but prolonged kiss on her head. Meerab closed her eyes, normally she would have rejected it, shoved him away, screamed at him. But the evening sky, the light breeze, the woody scent of her husband and him so close to her. She took it all in and found her anger dissipating.

"ab bhi naraz ho mujhse" Murtasim questioned.

She took a deep breath and then left a long sigh. Adjusting her chiffon dupatta, hardly protecting her from the evening chill, she shifted her body so that she could face him. Scanning his face and finally looking at him eye to eye. "Naraz? main to haar hi gayi na? Jis chiz see dil tootta hai mera, wo ho hi gaya, took Haya's words, listened to her rather than understand my point of view, your wife's!" She scoffed and continued.

"Haya proved once again that meri yaha koi jagah hi nai hai"

Murtasim shook his head, "Meerab aisa nahi hai"

"aisa hi hai, main sabko amne samne baithake sach ko samne lana chahti thi....." but before Meerab could continue, Murtasim interjected. "Aur kya kehti usse, ki Maryam ko koi aur pasand hai, hamare khandaan ki kya izzat reh jaati?"

"Khaandaan ki izzat, aur maryam uska kya?"

"Uske liye hi ho raha hai Meerab, I am her brother, main usse ek achhe ghar hi bhejunga, tum please ye sab mujhpe chhor do"

Meerab gave out a disappointed laugh, unbelievably. They bickered irritably. 

"Main kya hun phir, mujhe sabko apnane ko kehte ho and then you give me no rights, what should i do murtasim tell me? just sit at home and look pretty ?" She barked at him and stood. No longer wanting to be close to him. She took a few steps away from the bench, looking away at the bushes framing the garden.