Chapter 1: The plan

Children possess an innocent and delicate essence that requires utmost protection from any harm, abuse, or neglect that may cause them to lose their purity.

They are akin to a precious rose burning brightly in the darkness, radiating an unending glow that remains untainted and unblemished. However, this purity can be extinguished, leaving them vulnerable to the harsh realities of the world.

Like a pair of lungs taking in the fresh air, a child's spirit is initially fresh and clean, untainted by the world's pollutants. But when exposed to harmful influences, it quickly becomes soiled and corrupted, losing its initial radiance and innocence.

~~~

"How was school?" I asked as I looked down at my sister, Racheal. Her eyes squinted as she looked up at me, clutching a crumpled paper in her tiny hands. Excitement danced across her face as she revealed the news: "Miss. Adams said we are going on a field trip!"

Intrigued, I scanned over the papers and discovered that Racheal's class would be traveling all the way to New York to watch a play, and they would even get to stay overnight for a few days. My eyes widened as I saw the downpayment was a whopping 100 dollars.

Still, my attention was quickly drawn back to Racheal's hopeful face. "Do you think mom would let me go?" she asked.

My mind raced with possibilities as I considered her question. "I don't see why she wouldn't," I replied, a grin spreading across my face. "You've been good and you've kept your grades up." I playfully flicked her forehead and felt a surge of pride at her hard work.

"Ah, decisions, decisions," I say, rubbing my chin in a playful manner. "Are you feeling the crispy, succulent crunch of chicken nuggets or the juicy, savory goodness of hamburgers for dinner?" I ask with a mischievous grin.

Her face lights up as she juts out her hip, pushing up her backpack with boundless energy. "Pizza," she exclaims, her eyes sparkling with anticipation.

I can't help but laugh at her enthusiastic response. "Well, that's certainly a curveball," I say, amused. "But let's try to stay on budget, alright?" I tease, giving her a playful wink.

~~~

I placed the empty cup under the spout, turning on the faucet to let the water gush out. I lifted the cup to my lips, tilting my head back as I drank in long, satisfying gulps. The cool liquid cascaded down my throat, providing a temporary relief from the gnawing emptiness in my stomach. As I lowered the cup, my eyes wandered over to Racheal. She was nibbling on a slice of hot, fresh pizza, savoring every bite as if it was the first meal of her life. The aroma of melted cheese and spicy sauce wafted across the room, teasing my senses and making my mouth water.

"Are you going to work again?" she asked, breaking my trance.

"Yeah," I replied, placing the cup in the dish rack with a loud clank.

"Before you go, can I talk to Mom?" she pleaded, her voice breaking with emotion. I watched as she sucked in her lips, the tension in the room palpable as she contemplated whether to push the subject or not.

"Can it wait?" I asked, trying to keep things under control. It was always a touchy subject when it came to Mom.

"I just need to talk to her, even if it's just for a little bit," she protested, her frustration evident in the way she slouched onto the bar with a fuss. "I don't understand why she suddenly left," she added, her words trailing off into a whisper.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, knowing that this conversation was inevitable. "Okay, fine," I relented. "I'll make the call and see if she's available."