Chapter 22: Broken promises

As the hours soared through the sky, my energy plummeted like a falling star, rapidly fading with each passing second.

Exhaustion weighed heavily on me, evident in the incessant yawns that escaped from my weary lips. The people I served received less and less of the vibrant and attentive version of myself, as fatigue took its toll.

Surprisingly, they seemed unfazed by the slight dip in my performance, as if they understood the struggle I was facing.

These unholy hours seemed to stretch on forever, forcing me to question the very fabric of time. Had I truly subjected myself to such prolonged labor in the past?

The answer seemed elusive, as my memory, clouded by fatigue, failed to provide a clear answer. Nevertheless, the weariness in my bones and the heaviness in my eyelids served as undeniable evidence of the enduring battle I had fought with time itself.

---

I paused my work and approached Rachel, who was peacefully slumbering on the worn-out bench.

The sun cast a gentle glow on her innocent face, highlighting the faint freckles that dotted her cheeks. It was evident that she had had a rough night, her matted hair clinging to the sides of her tired face.

"Hey, wake up," I whispered, my voice barely audible. I placed a tender hand on her shoulder and gently nudged her, urging her to rouse from her slumber.

With a groggy blink, her hazel eyes fluttered open, revealing a mix of confusion and weariness.

"I'm cold...and hungry," she murmured, her voice laced with vulnerability. The weight of her words struck deep within me, a reminder of the harsh reality she faced daily.

"We can grab something to eat at school. We have to get going," I reassured her, my voice filled with empathy. Extending a helping hand, I helped her rise from the uncomfortable bench, her delicate frame leaning on me for support.

Together, we left the desolate supermarket behind, leaving behind the prospect of a shower, a warm meal, and the chance to study.

As we walked towards her school, the bustling streets came alive with the symphony of a city waking up.

The aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the faint scent of morning dew, heightening the contrast between Rachel's destitution and the world around her.

Though I too had been wearing my suit from the homecoming, its once pristine appearance was marred by stubborn stains and the pungent odor of neglect. But appearances were the least of my concerns.

Finally reaching Rachel's school, I bid her farewell with a smile, my heart heavy with the knowledge of the challenges that awaited her.

Soon after, I continued on my own path, navigating the busy streets towards my own educational institution.

"I'm glad I could attend school, as it made me feel a sense of normalcy, something I genuinely wanted to do rather than being obligated to do so.

As I made my way through the hallway, Molly, a fellow student, approached me but abruptly halted, her hand instinctively covering her nose.

"Vanitas, we really need to work on your hygiene. You can't be coming to school smelling like ass," Molly exclaimed, her laughter echoing among her group of friends. My heart sank, and I swallowed nervously.

"Well, that's not me," I managed to chuckle, even th\ugh deep down, I knew it was. I didn't want to acknowledge it, to face the truth.

"Yeah," Molly laughed, seemingly entertained by the situation. "Come on, class is about to start." With a sigh,