Chapter 2: The money

I step into the empty apartment, expecting nothing but silence. My sister is at school, as always; she cherishes her independence more than anything else. As I close the door behind me, the hollowness of the apartment hits me like a wave, pushing me further into my solitude. I steel myself for the ritualistic cold shower, free water being the only luxury I can afford.

The icy water pelts my skin, making me shiver as I grit my teeth against the discomfort. It's not like I have a choice, though...I need to wash off the 19-hour shift grime.

After the shower, I throw on my navy blue shirt with long sleeves, paired with black jeans. Glancing in the mirror, the bags under my eyes seem to have sunk deeper, deeper than ever before. Even a good sleep probably won't help, but I don't have the luxury of time. I need to finish the job for Nina first; then, maybe, I can rest. I grab the card she gave me earlier and hold the phone to my ear, waiting for her to pick up.

"Hello?" Her voice carried the same throaty rasp as the previous night, which still made my temples throb.

"Hey, it's the guy from the supermarket," I replied, my ear catching the sharp intake of breath on the other end.

"Can...can you come over?" she stuttered, the words tumbling out of her in a rush.

"Yeah, yeah, I can," I answered, the line already dead as I hung up. The air around me crackled with anticipation as I made my way over to her place.

---

"How old are you?" The words dripped from her lips as Nina leaned against the doorframe, her yellow robe a stark contrast to the dark room behind her.

"I'm 16," I replied, the silence stretching between us like a taut wire. "Does that bother you?"

She didn't say anything, her eyes swirling with unspoken thoughts. As the seconds ticked by, I grew restless. Leaning forward, I spoke my mind.

"Nina, your mind is running in circles, isn't it? You're probably thinking about how much younger I am than you - and what if you get caught?" I stepped closer, my words gaining momentum. "You could go to jail, lose your big house, your family, and be labeled as a pedophile."

I stared at her, my eyes meeting hers with a soft smile. "Or maybe, just maybe, you know that no one would care because I'm poor, dirty, and beneath you. Isn't that right, Nina?"

The air hung heavy between us, the weight of the unspoken truth pressing down like a leaden blanket. But I refused to back down. I would confront her, and she would not be able to look away.

"Gotcha," I thought to myself as she spoke those words. A wicked grin spread across my face; I knew I had her right where I wanted her. "I have a back door- go around back," she continued. I could see exactly what she was thinking. If anyone caught us, they'd assume that I was a burglar breaking in and that I had raped her. It was a pretty slick plan, I had to admit. I wasn't even planning on blackmailing her, but now the thought was tempting me.

As I made my way around to the back, I took a deep breath to steady myself. I wasn't usually the type to use such underhanded tactics, but the situation was too tempting to resist. I pushed open the door and was greeted by the sight of her already half-dressed.

"Fuck me already," she spoke, her words laced with a sense of urgency. She lay on the kitchen table, her back arched, her legs spread apart. At that moment, my eyes widened in shock. I had never seen an elderly person naked before. My throat went tight, and I found myself struggling to swallow. Suddenly, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go through with this.

"Whatever you say," I spoke in a low, husky voice, stepping closer to her. Nestling in between her legs, I reached for the thin black underwear and with my middle finger, pulled it to the side. Her skin was soft and smooth, and my lips barely brushed against it before I pulled back, teasing her.