Chapter 3: The Field Trip

As I inserted the key into the apartment door, it gave off a satisfying click, signaling my successful entry. The door creaked open and there was Rachel, her tiny frame darting to the kitchen table with the agility of a cheetah as she retrieved her homework. I closed the door discreetly, careful not to make a sound.

"Do you need help?" I asked, eager to be of assistance.

"Nah- I got it" she replied breezily as I headed to the bathroom. That's when I took the envelope out of my pocket, my pulse quickening at the sight of it. Even though I didn't get a chance to count the stacks of cash inside, I could feel its weight in my hand.

A hasty count indicated that the amount totaled up to an insane 108k. Rachel could go to college with this, but now wasn't the time to think about the future.

The present was equally concerning considering that I just stole this money. Someone would be looking for it and would stop at nothing to retrieve it.

My mind initially flooded with scenarios of how I could spend the money, but quickly realized that I had to hide it to protect Rachel. My hand trembled as I carefully slid the stash of cash under some loose floorboards. It was out of sight but not out of mind. The gravity of the situation weighed heavily on me, but for now, she is safe.

---

The day seemed to drag on forever as I filled in for the missing coworker. As frustrating as it was to have to pick up their slack, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Without them present, I was able to discreetly pocket some extra cash from unsuspecting customers.

I continued to pilfer until my attention was diverted by the sight of two police officers striding into the establishment. My heart rate skyrocketed as I wondered if they had discovered my criminal activity.

The fact that they had entered unabashed into a crime-ridden locale such as this made me doubt their competence. I knew firsthand the dangers that law enforcement faced in our area - the gangs had the power here and anyone who dared to interfere with their affairs would quickly face a brutal and violent end.

All I could do was wait and watch as the two officers disappeared into the manager's office. My eyes stayed glued on the door until they remerged a few moments later, trailed by my agitated manager. My heart pounding in my chest, I braced myself as they made their way towards me.

"Hey, My name is Officer Thomas and this is my partner Gav," Officer Thomas spoke, his voice confident and authoritative as he extended his hand out to me. I shook it, feeling his firm grip.

"My name is Vanitas," I spoke, trying to match his confidence.

"Okay, Vanitas, how old are you?" The officer continued, his eyes drilling into mine.

"I'm eighteen-" I started to say before Officer Gav cut me off.

"Let me stop you right there or we won't think twice about tazing liar- so don't fuck around," Officer Gav said, his ominous hand resting on his taser. I felt my heart skip a beat. I knew I was supposed to be scared, but I couldn't help feeling a surge of adrenaline.

"I'm sixteen," I quickly corrected myself, not wanting any trouble.

"And you work here full-time?" Officer Thomas asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Not normally, you see, the person who's supposed to take over didn't come in today," I explained, hoping to avoid any further questioning.

"Aren't you in school?" Officer Thomas asked sternly, and my heart sank. This was the question I had hoped to avoid.

"Yes," I lied, feeling a knot form in my stomach.

"Listen, you aren't old enough to be working here full-time. You need to be in school, do you understand? Now, go home and focus on your studies," Officer Thomas ordered firmly. I sighed, knowing that I wouldn't be getting paid. It wasn't the outcome I had hoped for, but at least I had avoided getting into any serious trouble.