chapter 20: After Doom

Suddenly, as if a switch had been flipped, Rachel's body convulsed violently as she started coughing out water. The sight was both alarming and mesmerizing, as her pale face contorted in discomfort.

Without a second thought, I instinctively rushed to her side, my heart pounding in my chest. I pulled her into a tight embrace, my arms constricting around her trembling frame.

Tears welled up in my eyes, a mixture of relief and fear, as I held her close, desperately wanting to protect her from any harm.

"Oh...god," I sobbed, my voice muffled against her shoulder, unable to contain the overwhelming emotions flooding through me.

"Felix was right! I saw god," Rachel managed to giggle, her voice slightly strained.

Her laughter mingled with my tears, creating a bittersweet symphony of emotions. I bit my bottom lip, my eyes locked with hers, searching for answers in the depths of her gaze.

Sensing her trembling, I swiftly removed my jacket and draped it over her shivering shoulders, offering what little warmth I could in that moment.

"Are we going back home?" she asked, her voice filled with uncertainty and vulnerability.

"Yeah," I replied, my voice steady despite the whirlwind of emotions raging within me. "Get on my back," I instructed, and without hesitation, she complied. As she nestled onto my back,

I straightened up, feeling the weight of her presence against my body. With determined steps,

I began to walk down the sidewalk, retracing our path back to the neighborhood I had once vowed never to return to.

"This isn't the way to Felix's house," Rachel remarked, her voice tinged with confusion.

"We are going back to the apartment," I explained, my voice laced with a mix of determination and resignation.

"Why!" She screams at the top of her lungs, her voice echoing through the empty street.

Her persistent shouting grows increasingly irritating as exhaustion seeps into my bones. Across the street, a cozy restaurant beckons, a glimmer of respite from the chaos. With a weary sigh, I guide Racheal towards the inviting establishment.

"I want to go back to Felix," Racheal pouts, her bottom lip jutting out in a childish display of disappointment. I wearily rest my head on the table, feeling the weight of fatigue settling in.

Damn, I'm so tired... The thought of trudging back to the apartment fills me with an overwhelming sense of dread. But what other choice do I have?

"I'm going back to Felix," she declares, determination lacing her words as she rises from her chair. Panic courses through me, and I instinctively reach out, grabbing hold of her arm.

"Sit down," I growl, my voice laced with a mix of frustration and desperation.

"No! I want Felix!" she shouts, her voice piercing the air like a siren.

"He doesn't want you anymore. Sit the hell down and shut up!" I snap, the words slipping out before I can even comprehend their cruel impact. Regret washes over me, disbelief mingling with guilt. "I'm sorry—"

"Save it," she interrupts, her tone cold and distant. Slowly, she climbs back onto the chair, her defiance momentarily subdued.

A yawn escapes my weary lips as I watch her, my eyelids heavy with exhaustion. In the midst of the tense silence, Racheal succumbs to sleep, her delicate features peaceful in the dim light.

Gently, I scoop her up in my arms, careful not to disturb her slumber. Seeking solace and solitude, I find refuge in the restroom.

The door locks with a reassuring click, sealing us away from the outside world. In the dimly lit room, I locate a sturdy countertop and surrender to the oblivion of sleep, cradling Racheal in my arms.

---
I jolted awake as the thunderous pounding on the door reverberated through the room, an abrupt interruption to my restless slumber.

Beside me, Racheal stirred, her eyes flickering open in confusion. With heavy eyelids, I stumbled towards the door, my groggy mind struggling to process the commotion.

As I swung the door open, a rush of cold air invaded the room, causing a shiver to run down my spine. There, standing in the doorway, was the store manager, her stern expression etched with frustration.

It seemed that she had come to evict us from the sanctuary of the bathroom we had sought solace in.

"You've been here for eight hours," she scolded, her voice laced with impatience. "You have to leave." The words barely registered in my exhausted state, my ears muffled by the weight of weariness.

My legs wobbled beneath me, threatening to buckle under the strain, whether from exhaustion or the overwhelming realization that I was alone in this predicament, I couldn't discern.

The world around me blurred as a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions engulfed my mind.

The fatigue clung to me like a suffocating blanket, threatening to smother any semblance of strength I had left. The loneliness seeped into every pore, amplifying the weight of my solitude until it became unbearable.

"Okay," I breathe, my head still spinning like a carnival ride. I reach out and grasp Rachel's hand, her touch grounding me as we stumble out of the restaurant.

The early morning sunlight streams through the cracks of the buildings, casting elongated shadows on the empty streets.

The world around me is a hazy blur, as if I'm looking at it through a fogged-up window. I blink and squint, trying to make sense of my surroundings.

The scent of freshly brewed coffee wafts through the air, mingling with the distant hum of traffic.

As we step onto the sidewalk, I steal a glance at Rachel, her face a mix of concern and understanding. Her eyes, like pools of warmth, offer solace in this disorienting moment.

"Can I get on your back again?" she asks, her voice filled with a hint of vulnerability. I feel a surge of relief that she isn't angry with me anymore, but a small voice in the back of my mind wonders if she's just using me as a crutch.

I hesitate for a moment, feeling the weight of exhaustion and pain settling in my bones. My back throbs with each step, protesting the strain of carrying both our burdens.

"My back is hurting, maybe later," I say, mustering a smile to reassure her. With determination, I tighten my grip on her hand, mentally preparing for the long journey back to my apartment.

The path ahead seems daunting and arduous, but I know that as long as we're together, we can overcome any obstacles that come our way.