Chapter 5: The hospital

As I lay on the couch for what felt like an eternity, the metallic stench of blood filled my nostrils, and I realized that a pool of it had formed beneath me. The man in the room spoke to himself, his words echoing in my ears like a distant memory. I was numb, unable to feel anything except the life draining out of me.

My mind was consumed with thoughts of failure and regret. How had I let my sister down? Why hadn't I saved enough money to get us out of this godforsaken town?

I was dying, and all I could think about was how I had failed as a brother. As the darkness closed in, I could only hope that my sister would find the money I had hidden and use it to buy herself a pony. It was the least I could do for her now.

"Are you dead?" The man asked, his voice cold and emotionless.

I could feel the weight of his words as they hung in the air. My heart pounded against my ribcage, and my palms grew moist with sweat. I could feel his eyes piercing through me, searching for any sign of weakness.

"No, you son of a bitch," I hissed through gritted teeth, my voice laced with anger and defiance. His chuckle sent a shiver down my spine as he stepped closer, invading my personal space.

"I'm not going to die - matter of fact, I refuse to die!" I spat, my eyes locked onto his. "I have someone counting on me," I whispered, my voice breaking with emotion.

"I can take care of your sister if you like," the man grinned, his words laced with malice.

"Another reason why I want to live," I whispered, my fists clenched tightly at my sides.

"Fair enough," the man grins, his eyes piercing into mine like daggers. I feel a chill run down my spine as I realize the gravity of the situation. "You'll do anything to live, won't you?" His words hang in the air like a death sentence, and I can barely summon the strength to nod in agreement.

Suddenly, the man leans in closer, his rough hand cupping my jaw as his thumb brushes over my bottom lip. I feel a surge of fear and revulsion, but I dare not move or speak. "You're going to suck my dick," he says, his voice low and menacing. I part my lips to speak, but no words come out, and I find myself nodding again, like a puppet controlled by his strings.

The man lets out a cruel laugh, his eyes glinting with a sadistic glee. "Oh god, you are hopeless, aren't you?" he cackles, relishing in his power over me. "Fine, fine, I'll give you a chance to live, alright?" With a swift motion, he pulls out his gun, and I feel my heart skip a beat.

"I'm going to load five silver bullets into the six-chambered gun," he spoke with a sly grin as he meticulously inserted the bullets into the gun, his fingers moving with practiced precision. As he spoke, he pointed the gun directly at my head, his eyes gleaming with a sinister glint. "Let's see if luck is on your side today," he taunted me, his voice laced with malice.

Trembling with fear, I couldn't muster the courage to speak. The slightest movement could set him off, and my life hung by a thread. I watched in horror as he pulled the trigger, the sound of the gunshot ringing in my ears. The silver bullet ripped through my skull, tearing through my brain and leaving behind a trail of destruction.

----

My eyes snap open, and the world comes into a blurry focus. The pain in my head is beyond excruciating, like a thousand knives stabbing my skull at once. I let out a groan, and my hand instinctively reaches up to touch my throbbing temple. But before I can even register the sensation, a flurry of activity surrounds me.

"Hi! You're awake! Everyone, he's awake!" A voice calls out, and I squint through the blinding brightness to see a swarm of nurses gathered around my bed. They peer down at me with a mix of concern and awe, as if they had just witnessed a miracle.