Chapter 19: during doom

But then, something catches my attention. My gaze shifts from his mesmerizing eyes to the water of the pool, and my heart skips a beat.

There, floating in the serene blue, is something unexpected. Panic surges through my veins, and without a second thought, I sprint towards the water.

"Rachel!" I scream, my voice echoing in desperation. Adrenaline courses through my body as I plunge into the water, my arms reaching out to grab her lifeless form.

The coldness of the water stings my skin as I pull her close, fear gripping my heart like a vice.

Emerging from the water, I cradle Rachel in my trembling arms. Panic and anger flood my senses as I turn my gaze to Felix, who stands on the other side of the pool, looking bewildered and confused.

"You did this!" I accuse, my voice laced with fury and anguish. The weight of the accusation hangs heavily in the air, the tension palpable.

"I thought that's what you wanted," he stammers, his voice tinged with genuine surprise. My eyes widen in shock, disbelief washing over me like a tidal wave.

"I can't listen to this bullshit," I declare, my voice trembling with a mix of anger and pain. Determination propels me towards the door, but Felix, standing in front of me, refuses to move.

"Move!" I demand, my voice filled with a fierce determination. Our eyes lock once again, but this time, the connection is strained, the trust shattered.

"Not until you listen to me," he says, his grip on my arms tightening, holding me still. His words cut through the air, his eyes burning with intensity. "Why are you being like this? Where's the love in your eyes?"

"Love? I don't love you!" I shout, desperately trying to break free from his grasp.

The weight of his words hangs heavy in the air, suffocating any remaining hope. "Every minute I waste with you, my sister is one step closer to death. So get the fuck out of my damn way!"

"Why are you angry with me? I did you a favor! I killed her so you don't have to... I know how much she means to you," he says, his voice laced with a twisted sense of justification. But I can't believe anything he's saying.

It's all dumb... and stupid. Now, my sister... is fucking dying in my fucking arms...

"I-I never said I love you!" I shout back, my voice cracking with a mix of anger and despair.

"You didn't say that while I was fucking you," he snaps back, his words dripping with venom, piercing through my heart like shards of broken glass.

"Okay- Maybe I did! But just because I love you doesn't mean I won't love my sister... I can love you guys equally!" I shouted, my voice echoing in the room.

"I don't want you to love me equally! I want all your love, for myself- Yes... Call me selfish! Call me heartless... But... But Vanitas, I love you, and I want you to love me and only me..." He begged, his face contorted with desperation.

"What the hell..." I whispered, my voice barely audible as the weight of his words sank in.

"Please, Vanitas," he spoke, taking a step closer to me, his eyes wild with desperation. "Let her die, and I'll give you anything- You don't have to work anymore... You don't have to do anything but love me because... Because I love you," he pleaded, his voice cracking.

In that moment, anger surged through me, fueled by his audacity. Without hesitation, I leaned forward and spat in his face, my act of defiance and disgust.

"I'll ALWAYS choose my sister over a damn pig," I hissed, my voice dripping with venom. With a final glare.

With a sudden surge of determination, I spun on my heel and strode purposefully towards the door, my heart pounding in my chest. Behind me, he gave chase, his anger palpable and his desperation evident in his voice.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?" he bellowed, his grip tight on my arm, his knuckles turning white from the force.

His eyes, red and filled with tears, betrayed a mix of confusion, hurt, and a hint of desperation. But this time, I wasn't going to let him manipulate me any longer. I was done being his pawn.

"You...You can't just walk away!" he cried, his voice cracking. "Aren't you going to pull some petty trick on me? Aren't you going to make me suffer?"

As his tears streamed down his face, I couldn't help but feel a strange sense of satisfaction. It was as if something inside me had finally broken free from his toxic grip. I

wanted to copy his tears, to show him that I too had been hurt, but I held myself back, determined not to give in to his emotional manipulation any longer.

"My 'petty trick' is leaving you," I growled, my voice laced with a newfound strength. "That will hurt you the most, and you will never see me again."

With those final words, I pushed open the door, breaking free from his clutches. The cool breeze outside welcomed me.