~ Chapter - 37 ~

- E L I J A H - 

"Cool down and deal with him, alright? You are Xav fighting is the last thing I want." I told Xander. Xander is the only one that can get through Xavier right now. If not his twin, he wouldn't listen to anyone else, especially since they have fought with mom too.

"He acts crazy if anyone tells him the truth that is everything is his fault." Xander retorted. 

"It's our fault too, we can't put all the blame on him. It is just not fair."

"BYE ELIJAH." 

"Hold up Xander, listen-" He hung up and I sighed. I have been sighing a lot nowadays. We had just landed and haven't even unpacked our stuff or freshened up. I called as soon as we reached the hotel and now I wish I called sooner. We have been away for a few hours and everything went wrong. I worry the most for mom. She wouldn't call any of us or talk to anyone regarding this but I know she's terribly hurt especially since she has cried. The last time I saw mom cry was at our grandma's funeral and that was years ago. My mom is the strongest person I know and I can't even imagine how awful the twins' words were to hurt her to this extent. I have to talk to her. 

I tried calling mom but she didn't answer. I ended up sending her a text to inform her we reached safe and to call me back. 

"What happened?" Ilaria asked.

"They fought with mom."

"What? Why?" 

"They were annoyed because of you not telling them about all this and mom must've not been in the mood to deal with that. Xavier and mom fought and then he fought with Xander too." I told her. "Mom cried, Aria." 

"Why does he have to be so annoying, Lijah?" 

"He is just frustrated and scolding him does no good, I think we all know this by now. Mom should've just walked out or something. Xavier never listens if you yell at him."

"Are you for real? Are you seriously blaming mom?" 

"Did I say that?" I said, irritated. "Of course I'm not blaming her."

"You meant the same thing!"

"For god's sake Aria, shut up!" I finally yelled. I am convinced I am surrounded with idiots. "I agree with you, Xavier is being dumb but yelling at him won't get us anywhere. You have to listen to him, no matter how foolish or irrational he is being." 

"Your logic is the dumbest I've ever heard."

"Well, obviously you can't understand it because you are so focused on his flaws. You are not even considering how he must be feeling. He argued with mom and Xavier both. Can you imagine how horrible he must be feeling? Xavier is also a kid, Aria. Just like you and Xander. He makes bad decisions, he does terrible things, but he is still my brother. I love him, just like I love you." I said. I was tired of always being asked to pick sides between my own siblings. I was tired of being expected to choose one over another in every situation.

"You are just defending him blindly, Elijah. Just like you always do." She scoffed. This is what I was talking about. I have tried my level best to be by her side in every situation since her birthday. I have always defended her against the twins. And I'm not saying I'm doing her a favour or anything. It's something I should have done from the very starting, but she can't expect me to just abandon Xavier completely. 

"He has been awfully mean to you, I know and you don't have to forgive him. But your or anyone's relationship with him doesn't dictate my bond with him. I will always love him, no matter what."  

Ilaria glared at me for some seconds before turning away from me and started to unpack her stuff.  Fantastic. Now I have three little siblings who are mad at me. 

"Aria, don't do this please." I tried. It's hard seeing her upset. "I'm just trying to tell you what he might be feeling. I didn't mean that in any other way."

"It's fine. I get it." She muttered. She is clearly not fine but I decided to leave it for now. Ilaria is a very smart and empathetic kid, she usually understands. And she has her interview tomorrow too. 

"Don't worry about it, I'll handle it. Just focus on your interview, kay?"

"I'm not worrying, Elijah." She sighed. "I'm tired. I'm tired of making excuses for Xavier. I'm tired of always trying to come up with crazy justifications for his actions. I'm tired of you being the peacemaker for them."

"You don't have to do anything for them." I groaned. I thought we were done with this conversation. "You don't have to make any excuses or justifications for them. I will deal with them. All I'm asking you is to ignore them. To let them be."

I can't give up on Xavier. No one can ask me to. He still has time to overcome his issues. He still has a chance to become a better person. A better sibling. A better son. No one else might it but I see the potential in him.

Xavier is still a good human in many ways. He volunteers for animal rescue shelters. When he stands by people, he stands with them till the very end, even if the world is against them. He loves fiercely. There have been many situations when he stood in front of me like a shield, even though he is the younger one. There have been times when he has fought for me, without asking a single question. He has always trusted me. Xavier may not be the perfect brother but he has never given me a single reason to doubt his loyalty towards me. My brother has never left my hand and I would never leave his.

There are still years ahead of him. There are so many more experiences waiting for him, so many more people he is yet to meet and so much more life has to offer him. He may be behaving irrationally right now but I can't just leave him be. I can't let him ruin his life and himself.

I can't give up on him cause my brother matters.

"You don't give up on someone you love."
- Anonymous

Hi my pretty pretty people! How are you all doing?

Happy Janmashtami to you and your family. May Shri Krishna always be with you.

How did you like the chapter? I have tried to show you guys another perspective as well. I didn't really think this way when I started writing but I think no one has only bad qualities. There is always some level of goodness in them. Do share your thoughts with me.

Question of the chapter- Your favourite song?

- Vote - Comment - Follow - Support -

💙