25: Tiff As Barbie As Rapunzel

It works this time. Tiff steps into exactly the place she wanted to be: just inside the living room door at her home at the edge of town. Perfect. Of course it works now. How convenient.

The portal closes behind Tiff and Dingus, and there they are. Cream carpet and family photos, more books than is reasonable, the TV playing an illegal DVD copy of the second season of Ewoks— this is home, isn't it?

She leans down to whisper to Dingus, "Behave. I know you're probably not going to shit on the carpet, but still."

She catches it out of the corner of her eye: movement on the couch. She isn't alone.

Obviously. It's eight at night and this is a house where six people live. Someone is bound to be home, even if Drew is supposed to be out of town for some wrestling show and it's supposed to be summer for Andy and Jeb.

That someone is, of course, Esther Cain.

She looks like shit. Obviously; Tiff wants to smack her own forehead. Aunt Esther is sick. Of course she doesn't look like she does when she's going to work, all metallic red lipstick and pristine ponytail. Of course she's slumped into the couch, laying on her side, watching Ewoks in a robe that she only ever wears when she has the flu. Of course her eyes look a little sunken and her breathing sounds a little labored.

Tiff pauses to lean over the back of the couch. "Hey there. How are you feeling?"

"Are you back from Canada already?"

She shakes her head. "Just passing through. Had to grab some bandages— Are you okay?"

"Are you?" She sits up against the armrest, concern setting in where the fatigue was just a second ago. "Honey, you're covered in blood."

"I'm always covered in blood. It's no big deal."

"Don't downplay it. We've talked about this."

"Well—" Tiff's back pocket buzzes. She chooses to ignore it. "Speak for yourself! You're clearly not doing well!"

"I told you, I told you." Esther sighs, pinches the bridge of her nose. "You can get involved when you're home."

"And, what, I'm not supposed to worry about you in the meantime? I couldn't stop thinking about you at Tim Hortons, just so you know."

Her aunt grins. "Is that why you smell like peaches?"

"Yeah, I dropped my drink and Elton thought it was hilari— Fuck— Elton." Tiff looks down at Dingus, who is panting dangerously close to her leg. "Right. Yeah. Fuck, there's so much happening. I need to get the bandages, I need to get the batteries, and I need to get back to Elton so he doesn't die." She snaps her fingers into guns at Dingus. Charmingly, he takes a moment to play dead.

Esther props herself up over the back of the couch on one arm. Her eyes go wide with confusion and bewilderment. "Is that— Tiffany May, is that a dog?"

"It is! Don't worry, it's not mine—

"I am aware you don't own a dog—

"—and this isn't one of those moments where I try to sneak a werewolf into the house by claiming it's a dog, this is not that, this is— I just need a minute, and I'm going to go upstairs. I'm going upstairs! I'm heading back to Canada immediately!" Tiff swings herself around the banister, tugging the leash so Dingus knows to follow her. "I'll vacuum when I get home."

"I'm not worried about the dog hair, I'm worried about—"

"No need to worry!" She pauses four steps from the top and ducks her head to look down at her aunt and the weird animated teddy bears on the screen. "I'm going to be fine. Rest. I'll be back when I'm done. Thank you for not asking about the giant bones."

"I was assuming—" She sighs, deciding, "I'm not going to ask."

Tiff calls over her shoulder, "Thank you!"

From there, it's a quick trip to the bathroom to grab the first aid kit she, Andy, and Zeb share. It's a good idea to have one, at least. It's in the top drawer in a clean white plastic casing. When you have one klutz trying to save the world all the time, a teenage girl insistent on skating despite that same tendency, and a son who won't stop setting fires for some reason, you stock up on gauze. She slides it into her bag, texts a quick reply to Elton, and steps into her bedroom to look for the batteries she wanted.

"Don't touch the plants," she warns Dingus, as if he's listening or even cares, while she's rummaging through the drawers of her dresser. "They're carnivorous. The toothwheat, especially."

He makes a noise that reminds her a little of Denny. It's somewhere between a whine and something concerned.

It melts her heart a little. "Yeah, I know. Just don't go near the window."

He whimpers again.

"They're fae, bud. Don't worry, I didn't care for the thought of cultivating a Fever Thorn Rose. No thank you." After removing two, Tiff shoves the box of batteries and wire into her bag. Since she's here and doesn't care to wait, she tosses the bone onto her bed (it's a treat for later), grabs an extra shirt, a palette knife, and a second shirt. Shirts out the wazoo. She might be losing it.

Tiff scratches Dingus's head. "Alright, bud. Take three. Are you ready?"

He is not ready.

He's going to have to be. Tiff reaches down to cup his cheeks. "I need you to help, okay? We have to concentrate on Elton so we can get back to him. Okay?"

She isn't sure whether or not he understands her. She is sure that they're running out of time. For all she knows, Elton is bleeding out on the ground, or Boris has him, or—

That's not productive. She swallows it and tries to still her heart. A pair of pliers to attach the batteries to the charm bracelet runes; she raises the palette knife and looks down at Dingus.

"Now or never, bud. Are you ready to go all Barbie Rapunzel?"

He just pants gently. That's fine. References don't have to be for everyone.

Tiff cuts into the air.

The edges of the portal flicker. Fuck. External power sourcing as a concept might need some tweaking, she guesses. She throws what she can into it— drops all defenses, feels her arm bleeding more despite the makeshift tourniquet. Fine. It feels like the shadows between openings are leaking into her. Fine. She just needs to get to Elton.

It stabilizes enough to be viable. If they're going to make use of it, then they have to do it now. Ignore the blood dripping from her fingertips to the carpet; ignore that unsettled feeling in the pit of her stomach; it's now or never.

She looks at Dingus and gestures to the portal with her head; she scratches his gently. "Let's go together, then."

Side by bruised side, they step through.