Chapter 8

I'm brought into a large room, a unlit fireplace in the center of the wall opposite us which was surrounded by a bunch of sofas and a detailed rug. The walls covered by bookshelves and a few tables dotted around. Looks to be some kind of communal area for the Jonin of the village. If I were to guess.

"I'll get that fire started."

Jiraiya says, walking toward the fireplace as my gaze pans over to it, my eyes flashing orange for a second as the wood immediately ignites - the flames strong as the sound of the wood crackles. A small surprised yelp leaving the Sage as he looks back at me.

"Whoa..."

Naruto whispers, gazing at me in awe as I smile at him. Ruffling his hair as Kit and I move to sit in front of the fire. The warmth on my skin making me shiver.

"Start talking..."

Kakashi says as he leans against a bookcase with his arms crossed, my eyes narrowing as the temptation to drop a few of the heavy encyclopedias on his head runs through my mind. Kit letting out a little growl as he tells me not to. Party pooper.

"Gee, when you ask so nicely. Why wouldn't I tell you everything..."

I say sarcastically, Guy and Jiraiya sitting on the couch opposite me as I remain on the floor in front of the fire.

"So... Kit found me when I was a baby,  abandoned in a forest by my parents because ya know, they're great folks."

Kakashi's eyes remain on me as Naruto joins me on the floor. His legs crossing beneath him.

"I was never afraid of Kit or his power, when he found me, he was young too so we were both kinda on the same journey together. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have made it through the night. It was so lonely for both of us and when we agreed to come together, everything felt like it was going to be okay. Even at such a young age I knew we were meant to find each other, as cheesy as that sounds."

Steam starts to rise off my wet clothes as I radiate energy from my body, drying the clothes and my hair in a few short moments. I could've manipulated the raindrops not to hit me and avoid getting wet altogether but I was worried that I'd draw more attention to myself. Plus, it requires a fair amount of concentration and at the time I was being hunted so, ya know, my mind was elsewhere.

"Why are you so different to the other fox spirits?"

Jiraiya asks me, his tone full of curiosity.

"Well, as history books and children tales note - the Yokai are usually known for being harmful and destructive spirits. Some I've known, like the nine-tailed in Naruto. Others? Others I wish I will never know... Because if they walk the Earth? Death will follow, it can show as plagues and war. You'd have to kill the Yokai for all of that to stop and as you are aware, it's hard to do so."

I trail off a little, some hints of fear in my voice.

"You've all experienced what the Nine-Tailed is capable of. So take that information and trust that,  because you've never heard of Kit and I, that we are no danger to you or anyone in the village. In fact, if I had come along while it was under attack - you'd see me fighting to protect it, not trying to destroy it."

I say, my hands running through my hair now it had dried. Kit choosing the amusing option of approaching Kakashi's, his eyes looking up at him as he shakes off the water from his fur violently. The Jonin immediately covering his face as Naruto laughs loudly.

"Really?"

The masked ninja mutters, his tone less than amused at my fox's actions as I look at the water covering him.