Chapter 9

Jiraiya left me alone at his residence, my eyes looking around at how surprisingly clean it all is. The kitchen was tidy, the bathroom and the bedroom too. I honestly was expecting clothes to be strewn everywhere, dishes in the sink. An unmade bed but that wasn't the case and Kit and I are incredibly grateful for that.

I held my backpack in my hand that Guy returned to me, my sketchbook and other things inside as I rummaged through it, looking for a set of clothes to change into after my shower. I hadn't had a proper shower in so long and my god, it was the best thing ever. The Sage even had some excellent shampoo and conditioner choices, which makes sense as he does have an awful lot of hair.

"It's strange to me too ya know."

I look down at my fox as I pull out a pair of black pants and a cropped green sweatshirt.

"Do you think Kakashi will ever trust us?"

My fox let's out a disgruntled bark as I nod in agreement, sighing as I open up my sketchbook - looking at the drawing of the masked ninja.

"I don't think so either but hey, we can't win them all right? At least the kid will have someone who actually knows how to wield the power of the nine-tailed."

I paused.

"Without letting it loose anyway."

I chuckle as I change into my clothes, putting on wraps around my wrists and ankles before slipping into my sandals. The sun rose a few hours ago and I hadn't managed to sleep after everything that happened the night before with the whole, being hunted down thing and by the time I got back here, it was almost morning.

Knock, knock

"Huh?"

I look down at Kit before walking over to the door, my sketchbook in my hand, my ginger hair falling in soft curls down the center of my back as I reach the handle of the door before pulling it open, seeing the masked ninja leaning against the door frame as I gaze up to him, meeting his gaze.

"What do you want?"

I asked, my tone blunt as Kit moves to stand between my legs - a quiet growl escaping him, his tail twitching aggressively.

"So you're not a morning person, are you?"

He says as if none of yesterdays acts happened. His calm tone and demeanor returning.

"You're kidding right?"

I respond, confusion in my voice as he looks down at me, his gaze drifting over my appearance, causing me to look at him a little closer. Something's different, he's acting nicer than yesterday. I narrow my eyes suspiciously as if I'm expecting him to try to attack me at any moment.

"I bet you're hungry. Why don't we grab breakfast?"

My eyebrows raise at him before I look down at Kit, my fox looking up at me as he talks to me - telling me that we should try to be nice to avoid confrontation. That we only have one chance and we can't risk it.

"Um... Breakfast would be great..."

I say a little hesitantly, his eyes dropping to see my sketchbook in my hand.

"Well, I know a great place. Shall we?"

Kakashi steps to the side and I swallow nervously, stepping out of the doorway and closing it behind me as Kit and I walk down the hallway steps and out into the street. The Jonin moving to walk beside me as I gaze up at him. The skies clear and blue as the morning sun peaks through the trees and buildings.

"Did you get any sleep?"

He asks, his hands in his pockets as I raise an eyebrow at him. What game is he playing here?

"Not really... I haven't slept since I woke up at the hospital and we both know what happened after that."

I respond, my tone softer than before as I try to be polite. The last thing I need is to cause any more friction between us.

"Yeah... You have to understand that the safety of this village is my number one priority."

He rubs the back of his neck and I blink at him, unable to contain it anymore. My hand reaching out to grab his elbow, stopping our walking and forcing him to face me.

"Okay, what the hell is going on? Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?"

I tilt my head up to look at him as Kakashi tilts his head as he looks down at me. Kit stopping beside me as he listens, his ears forward.

"You were about ready to kill me or something last night, you stormed out after I told you my story and threatened me that if I mess up once, you'd be the first one to handle it."

I cross my arms, my sketchbook slipping from my fingers - Kakashi's hand reaching out to grab it in mid air.

"I understand your uncertainty and I apologize for my actions yesterday."

Did he, just apologize? My eyes lift to the sky to look around.

"What are you looking for?"

He asks, his tone calm as always.

"I was just waiting to see a pig fly, I never thought you'd be the one I'd get an apology from."

He remains quiet as I turn back to face him, my cheeks blushing pink when I realize he's been looking at me this entire time.

"I looked into your story about the phenomenon you told us about. After what Jiraiya said I did some research, diving a little deeper into some old reports from that time. Imagine my surprise when I read witness statements of sightings of a red haired girl and a fox companion, helping the people and not causing the chaos."

I remained quiet, my blue eyes on his face as he talks.

"So... Does that mean you believe me now?"

I ask, curiosity in my voice as the Jonin turns to continue our walk. My feet falling into stride beside him as Kits paws pad at the ground.

"I can't say for sure that I trust you completely, however..."

Kakashi pauses, looking down at me again as he smiles. Well, I think he did anyway. It's so hard to tell when he hides behind that mask. What's he covering up? Does he have a weird mouth or something?

"I feel a lot more at ease knowing that you have been honest with us and because of that, I'd like to sit down over some good food so I can get to know you a little better."

He opens my sketchbook again, looking at the multiple drawings of Kit and random people I've met along the way. My eyes watching him as he stops at his portrait.

"I already know you've got a talent for drawing but I'd like to know what else you enjoy."

I'm slightly taken aback by his words, even Kit was surprised at his change of heart. I wasn't sure what to say in response to that. People don't usually like to sit down over breakfast in attempt to know me better. How do you even have a conversation like that?

"Here we are."

Kakashi stops outside a small cafe, my nose inhaling the smell of fresh food. My stomach grumbling in anticipation.

"Let's go in and sit down, breakfast is on me okay?"

"O-okay..."

He pulls the curtain across as I step inside, sitting down at a small table in the corner, my eyes following the Jonin as he sits opposite me. Kit hopping up on the empty third chair, the male ninja's knees brushing against mine.

"The Taiyaki here are delicious, as is the Tamagoyaki."

I look at him from across the table as he appears to smile at me again. I am seriously confused, I'm not entirely sure whether or not to take this guy seriously or if this is still some kind of game but what I do know is that I am starving and the food in here smells bloody delicious so if I need to sit here as he asks me questions, it's a sacrifice I'll just have to make.