Chapter 22.

I can't describe the fear I felt when I saw Orochimaru raise his sword toward Kakashi, it was something I'd never felt before. My blue eyes widen, my gaze shifting from him to Kit as if everything was happening in slow motion. This couldn't happen, I can't lose Kit and the fear of losing Kakashi terrified me, it was as if a vice was wrapping tighter and tighter around my heart and I couldn't take in a deep breath, there was such a surge of power that started to grow within me, the pain of my broken femur and multiple other injuries seemed to melt away. All I saw were them, all I heard were their cries. Nothing else existed in that moment.

"No..."

A fire began to burn inside of me as my blue irises melted away to a luminous orange, my breathing intensifying as my orange energy starts to swarm around me like a thunder cloud, sparks of lightning bursting within it as I see Kit struggling to breathe as a snake tightens around his neck, his fangs snapping at the serpent without success and Kakashi was focused on deflecting attacks from the snake man's clone, when the real one was behind him and preparing to impale someone I'd call a friend. I had to act. God this was going to hurt. It's been a while since I pulled out this move.

"Come on little fox, we best be going."

Kabuto's taunting tone was barely audible to as he reached out to me, I ignored him and instead I closed my eyes, the power around me burning hot as I let out a loud scream of frustration and pain, the orange energy exploding around me in a fiery display. I watched as the snakes burnt away from around Kit, Orochimaru and his four eyed friend being electrocuted and thrown back off their feet, their body flying backwards through the air before disappearing into the dense forest around us as if they weighed nothing, a mere leaf blowing away in the wind. Those who stood with me remaining unharmed.

"Aimi!"

Kakashi yells out to me as my fox whines. My power dissipating around me, the orange hue that illuminated the world around us fading and was quickly being replaced by the cool light of the moon shining above once again. I let out a heavy breath, my gaze shifting to the charred earth at my feet - my irises fading back to their natural blue hue as my body gives out and starts to fall toward the ground. I couldn't focus, my hearing picking up a loud ringing in my ears, my vision was blurry and the edges had seemed to be darkening. I didn't have much chakra left before that attack but now? Now I had officially screwed myself, I wasn't even sure if I would fully recover from this and that made me feel cold and empty inside. I was glad of one thing though... The masked ninja and my best friend were safe. We all know I couldn't live without Kit, he was my everything, his life meant more to me than my own and I didn't exactly know what Kakashi meant to me. I was feeling things I'd never experienced before. Damn. Maybe I'd never find out what those were. A whimper escaped me, footsteps and paws pounding the ground toward me as my eyes flutter shut, the vivid world around me fading into nothing, my consciousness shrouded in the dark abyss.

****

I slowly opened my eyes, as reality began to seep in. My senses dull and muted as my vision failed to focus making it seem like the world was swimming around me. I let out a breathy groan as I tried to ground myself, trying to concentrate on one thing at a time. I went with touch to start, my mind beginning to recognize that I was laid on a bed, okay what's next, hearing... Right. I could hear distant chatter and birds chirping. That's good at least. Finally I had to sharpen my eyes. I lifted my hands, a soft material rubbing my eyes as I noted bandages wrapped around both of my hands, I took in a deep breath as I opened them again and I looked around the room. I was back in the hospital in Konoha. What the hell...?

Bark! Bark!

My blue eyes snapped to Kit as he bounded into the room in his smaller form, his eyes bright with excitement as he ran up to me, standing on his hind legs as he leaned over the edge of the bed to lick at my face. I didn't care at all, his breath stunk but it didn't bother me, all I cared about was that he was safe. I hadn't even realized I was crying until he whined at me, his fluffy ears twisting back as he nuzzled into my neck.

"I'm okay... I'm just happy to see you..."

I wrap my arms around him as he lays beside me, his head across my chest as he gazed at me with worry and adoration.

"Is Kakashi alright?"

I ask, the other thought in my mind. Kit didn't even get a chance to respond before the ninja in question appeared beside me with a bunch of flowers. I would've flinched if it didn't hurt so much to move.

"You're awake."

His tone was blunt as usual but there was something else in there, a softer edge, concern, worry perhaps?

"Certainly seems that way. Were you hurt?"

Kakashi looked down at me with his one visible eye, his head tilting slightly in such a way that his hair flopped even more to one side.

"You're worried about me? When you are the one in the hospital bed?"

I mean the guy had a fair point but my question still stands. I nodded slowly and he placed the flowers in a vase on the table beside me, replacing the old wilted ones with a fresh and bright bouquet. How long have I been out for?

"I had minor injuries, nothing that couldn't be patched up. You however, I wasn't sure if you were going to make it back there."

That was a legitimate reason for concern, I was badly injured and I used pretty much my entire reserve of chakra to end the fight. I was certain I wouldn't wake up but here I am.

"Yeah... Thank you for finding me when you did. I hoped you'd come but I wasn't sure..."

He slid his hands into his pockets as he looked down at me, my blue eyes meeting his gaze as he stood silently for a few moments, as if contemplating his answer.

"Why wouldn't I come for you?"

How do I answer that without sounding crazy? I sigh as I try to brush my copper hair out of my eyes, a wince of pain escaping me as I do, causing him to immediately kneel beside me and take my hand, gently guiding my arm back down onto the bed before he reached over and delicately brushed his fingers across my forehead to tuck my hair behind my ear. I didn't know how to respond, I felt such an intense and overwhelming sense of emotion, all of which was starting to feel familiar yet strange all at the same time.

"T-thank you..."

I whispered as he gave me that smile with his eyes so you knew he was giving you one, his mask preventing me from actually seeing his lips.

"I know we didn't start off with the best of intentions but never think for one moment Aimi, that I wouldn't come to protect you, wherever you are..."

I felt my heart skip a beat, my fox beside me crawling over to Kakashi to curl up in his lap as he sat next to me on the bed. I guess Kit noticed the feeling too.

"I don't know what to say..."

I truly didn't, the girl that usually had an answer for everything was stumped and it made him chuckle.

"You don't need to say anything, you need to rest. You're still healing."

I nod at his words as his hand moves to rest on my own, his touch sending tiny jolts of electricity up my arm.

"Could you stay? I didn't like waking up alone..."

I wasn't lying but I also feared the very real possibility of having nightmares about what happened and I just had this bizarre feeling that knowing Kakashi was right beside me? Would make everything okay.

"Of course, I'll be right here. I'm not sure Kit will allow me to move anyway."

I snorted at that and smiled for the first time since everything happened. I was beginning to think I would be okay here after all. I turned onto my side, my gaze lingering on the masked ninja as he pet my fox before my eyes drifted shut, my body embracing the sleep I so desperately needed.