Chapter Eleven

"Tomie?"

Tomie snapped her head up, and her eyes went wide in horror. She realized that she had zoned out and hadn't been paying attention to what Georg had been saying. "I-I'm sorry!"

"Don't apologize," Georg reassured her with a smile. He looked gorgeous that evening in a slate gray suit. But then again, he would look gorgeous even if he wore a garbage bag. He leaned his elbow on the table. "I wasn't saying anything important, just if you were enjoying your steak."

Tomie looked down. Georg had offered to take her to dinner at an upscale steakhouse, and so she had chosen a fashionable blue dress for the occasion. And since it was a steakhouse, she decided to make it a cheat day and get a steak instead of salad. "It's delicious," she said, taking another bite.

"I'm glad you like it," Georg said. "And I hope you're enjoying this evening."

"I-I'm fine, really. I was just a little..." she waved a hand. "Distracted."

Georg leaned back in his seat. "Would you like to talk about it?"

Tomie felt heat flood her face and she met his gaze briefly before looking away. After another moment she looked back at him. She took a sip of wine before she spoke. "I've been...trying to patch things up with my brother. We haven't been talking recently. I-I—I went to his apartment a couple of days ago because I wanted to catch him before he went to work and I..." she rubbed at her forehead. "Well, I...I found out he's dating a stripper."

Georg had been drinking his own wine and he choked when she said that. "Are you all right?" she asked him.

Georg wiped his mouth with his napkin and coughed a few times. His face was slightly red. "Ah...a stripper?" he asked when he regained his bearings.

"Yes," she said. "At least I'm assuming they're dating, since they left Tyler's apartment at the same time."

Georg nodded his understanding and cleared his throat. "Is that a problem for you?"

Tomie was surprised by the question and felt even more embarrassed. "Honestly? I...no." She shook her head. "If his new beau treats him better than this last boyfriend—I-I mean—" she stammered, mortified that she outed her brother so casually.

Georg however didn't react to it. "Well if the new beau makes your brother happy, then that's what matters."

"It's only problematic for my friends," Tomie said. "Tyler, he...ah...met his new boyfriend at my friend's bachelorette party—"

"What?!" Georg gasped, looking up sharply.

Tomie felt a pang of alarm at his reaction. Her mouth opened and closed silently, not knowing what more to say.

"I'm sorry," Georg said after a moment. "I didn't mean to yell. I was just...surprised as well." He picked up his wine glass and drained it.

Tomie felt the mood shift, and it made her uncomfortable. She idly ate her dinner as she struggled to think of a way to change topics. After a moment she decided, "When is your birthday?"

"Hmm?" Georg looked surprised by the question, but the tension eased in his broad shoulders. "Oh, January 1st."

"Wow, New Years?" Tomie laughed. "You probably have the best birthday parties!"

"Since I turned 21, yes."

Tomie burst into laughter, though she was mortified when she almost spat out her food. She drank more wine to cover it up.

"When is your birthday, Tomie?" Georg asked as he reached for his water.

"May 13th."

"Ooh, a spring lady." Georg smiled. "It suits you well, Tomie."