Chapter Twenty-One

"I appreciate you doing this," Malcolm said, reclining in the passenger seat.

"Anytime," Tyler said, glancing at him briefly. "Are you sure it was okay to leave them waiting like this?"

Malcolm shrugged. "I didn't want you to skip work today."

"I appreciate that," Tyler said sincerely. "And if you didn't feel comfortable, I wouldn't want you to do this alone."

"And I appreciate you driving me," Malcolm said. "I'm feeling carsick just thinking about it."

"You sure it's okay for your family to see us in my car? My car isn't as nice as yours."

"Your car is fine, Tyler."

"Thank you."

But Malcolm could see Tyler's raise brow as they closed the distance toward the Hensley family home. Sprawling mansions framed the street on both sides. All of the lawns looked perfect. The sidewalks weren't even cracked and looked like they had been recently sandblasted. Tyler was visibly speechless, and slightly intimidated. Having lived away from his family for two years, Malcolm could understand the shock. "Left a left up here," Malcolm said. "My family's house will be the third on the right."

Tyler whistled a little as he turned onto the street in question. "The lettering on that street sign is cursive!"

"Yeah," Malcolm sighed, shaking his head.

The Hensley family home was a sand-colored Greek revival mansion that sat on five acres of land. The property was surrounded by walls and had a gate with security, but they could see the house through the gates. When Malcolm directed Tyler to turn into the driveway, he heard the other man say, "Holy shit." under his breath.

The car came to a stop at the gate, and the security guard approached the car. Malcolm didn't recognize him. "Hey, where's Reggie?" he called out.

"Reggie retired eight months ago," the new guard said. His name tag said "Edward". "You must be Master Malcolm."

"What gave it away?" Malcolm asked wryly. "The uncanny family resemblance?"

The guard sputtered and quickly went back to the booth. "I-I'll open the gate for you, and let them know that you're here!"

The driveway was a thousand feet long. Malcolm remembered doing laps on the driveway as part of his exercise routine. He also remembered running the grounds with Santee playing. And all the times his parents yelled at him.

They want to see me now. They probably heard that I left my job. Santee no doubt told them.

As Tyler pulled up to the front steps, Malcolm was shocked to see his family standing there waiting for them. Coda and Tarsha stood together, and Santee stood with his wife Holly. As Malcolm climbed out of Tyler's car, he was surprised when Tarsha ran forward and pulled him into a hug. "Malcolm! I'm so glad to see you! I'm so glad you're home!"

Home? Malcolm's brow lifted in confusion and he gently pushed his mother away. "Mother, I'm not coming home."

"What?!" Tarsha looked hurt by his words. "B-But you left that deplorable job!"

"I own a condo and I'm twenty-five years old," Malcolm told her, keeping his tone gentle. "I'm going to need to be on my own at my age."

"Did your stripper money or Dad's money pay for the condo?" Santee asked him.

Malcolm bristled, but Tyler was quickly at his side glaring at Santee. "And who's money paid for YOUR house?!"

Santee frowned at Tyler. "I live here."