Chapter Fourteen 🔥

As October turned into November, Tyler noticed that Malcolm occupied his thoughts a lot of the time. Their schedules still didn't line up well, but they texted frequently throughout the day, and they spoke on the phone at least once a day. Tyler noticed that if his phone buzzed he felt flutters inside his stomach from excitement; anticipating that it was Malcolm who was contacting him. And if it wasn't Malcolm, the disappointment was always palpable.

Tyler had a nagging suspicion as to why he was reacting this way, and he resisted it. Malcolm was truly enjoyable to be around, and he could sense that his feelings were evolved and—and growing. But he couldn't help but feel dread with the unconscious evolution of his feelings because of the heartbreak he had suffered. Kane had been his longest relationship, and he had given everything of himself to the relationship. And in the end Kane had taken his love and thrown it right back in his face in the cruelest manner possible.

I feel for him. I know I do. I don't want this to be a rebound, I don't...oh God, I can't fall in love again so soon can I? It's been barely two months since I broke up with Kane!

Tyler was in the break room of the shop, barely touching his food as he contemplated this. This sort of topic wasn't something he could discuss with his colleagues, and while his friends were aware that he was in a friends with benefits relationship they didn't know that it was with a stripper. He didn't know who he could possibly talk to about this.

Do I love him? Is it possible to fall in love so quickly after being in love with someone else for three years?

Tyler's cell phone buzzed on the table, and the familiar unconscious flutter of excitement filled him. He flipped his phone over to check the screen, and the unconscious joy surged inside of him when he saw Malcolm's name in the text message on the lock screen. 'Someone took my shift tonight. Wanna hang out at my place and game?'

Tyler realized he was smiling like a dope and tried to swallow the smile. It didn't work as he sent a quick text back. 'Absolutely.'

Malcolm responded with a '👍'. Tyler choked on a laugh.

"Tyler!" TJ pushed open the door to the break room, frowning deeply. "There's a lady up front asking for you! She said you told her she'd get a discount with a recommendation!"

"Is she hot?" Jake, another mechanic, asked eagerly.

"Of course she's hot," TJ said, but his tone was angry. "Tyler, what's with all these people showing up lately saying you offered them a discount?!"

"I don't know," Tyler said defensively, but he had a sinking feeling as to why they were. Malcolm probably told them about the shop, and they thought they could get a discount by association, he thought wryly. He stood up. "I'll deal with it, TJ."

"You'd better," TJ said. "And if it's you offering discounts here, put a stop to whoever the hell it is!"

"I will, sir." He left his lunch behind but shoved his cell phone into his back pocket.

~*~

"Are you telling your coworkers that they can get a discount at my shop?"

Malcolm quickly looked up upon hearing this. Tyler and him were seated side by side on the living room and playing a fighting game on Malcolm's Xbox™️. "No," Malcolm answered him, focusing back on the game. "I only told them to go to your shop for car repairs."

"Well, your colleagues have been showing up for everything under the Sun," Tyler said tersely, mashing the buttons on his controller. "From oil changes to a rear bumper reattachment. And all of them said that they could get a discount at my shop. My boss is pissed at me."