VIII: Aftermath

Odin's funeral was being held immediately after the battle.

David was gritting his teeth in anger as they put Odin's body on a Viking ship. He already had to make a grave for Ashley and now his last parent was dead.

 "Dammit." David complained as he watched the archers burn the boat. "If I had finished earlier..."

 "Hey, don't you blame you go blaming yourself." Lizzy tried to comfort him.

 David stood up.

 "Where are you going?" Dylan asked, gripping David's wrist. He didn't want him doing anything stupid.

 David looked at him, before dematerializing into wisps of rainbow fire that raced away Dylan cried out in pain as the fire burned his hand.

 "Jesus!" he shouted, waving his hands. Lizzy looked at the flames, along with everyone else.

 "Where's he going?" Abby asked.

 "He's probably going to visit Jamie." Lizzy said matter of factly.

 "How do you-?" Dylan began.

 "I just do." Lizzy cut him off. "Now shut up."

 "Yes, ma'am." Dylan immediately said.

 Jamie jumped as David materialized in front of her.

 She punched him as hard as she could in his gut, but he barely felt it. "Don't do that."

 David pulled up a chair. "Sorry."

 Jamie sat up in her hospital bed, ignoring the pain. "I'm sorry about your dad."

 "It's OK." David replied, looking out the window.

 "No, it's not." Jamie pressed. "You have to talk about it."

 "Who says I have to?" David wouldn't look at her.

 "Please, David." Jamie put a hand on his leg. "You can't just bottle up your feelings."

 David turned to her, a painful smile on his face. "Watch me." he replied simply.

 "David-"

 "I'm not going to, Jamie." David interrupted. "Just stop it. And this is not what I came to talk about."

 Jamie looked confused.

 "I came to ask a question."Jamie waited. "Well?"

 David winged his hands awkwardly. "What exactly do you think of me?" he asked. "Why would you risk your life for me like that?"

 "Because you're my friend." Jamie answered. "Any more stupid questions?"

 "You know that's not what I meant."

 Jamie smirked for a moment, then pursed her lips. "I hate that you talk in your sleep. And that you drool when you sleep."

 David subconsciously wiped his mouth, making Jamie smile.

 "That still doesn't answer my question."

 Jamie knew that, but she refused to just say everything. "Do you remember our first adventure together?"

 David thought for a moment. It had been so long ago (by his standards anyway). "Yeah, we had to find Dylan. He had been kidnapped by some Cyclops, I think."

 "We were eight." Jamie's smile widened. "Can you believe that? Eight."

 Well, I was eight in Odinson years. David smiled. "Yeah." He had completely forgotten about his previous question.