~ Chapter 2 - Settling In ~

" Ah, Rani! Baliyo, sweetie! How lovely to see you ~!" My aunt Nirmala joyfully exclaims while huddling us into her small apartment and helping us with our luggage. " Look at you guys, you're soaked!"

I kick off my drenched Converse sneakers and wipe the rain off my face with the sleeve of my coat.

"No shit, sherlock..." I murmur quietly, taking caution to make sure that Nirmala doesn't hear me. But I am quickly proven that I wasn't cautious enough as she turns to me with a skin-piercing glare.

"Where on Earth did you learn to use that type of language? Because I know that I didn't teach that to you. There will be no cursing under my roof, young lady. And especially not in front of your brother. Do you understand?" She tells me all of this while wagging a finger at me as if I'm some sort of toddler.

Nirmala is really old school when it comes to rules. No wearing skirts or shorts that don't reach your knees, no cropped hoodies or cropped tops as she says they attract " Too much unwanted attention", no swearing (as demonstrated ten seconds ago). And her number one rule; Absolutely NO DATING!

I frown, annoyed at her stupid rules,"Yeah... whatever. It's not like I want to be here, anyway."

"Well, unfortunately,  you don't have a choice. Do you?" She tells me. Her voice slowly turning from stern to weak. I can't help but notice tears glistening in her Hazel eyes.

A few seconds of loud silence passes between us, but it's soon broken by Baliyo tugging on Nirmana's leg with an eager look on his face, "Auntie, I'm hungry!" He complains.

"Of course. I made a Sunday roast. So quickly go dry up before you get sick and come and eat." She wipes her eyes and ruffles Baliyo's hair, making him giggle before disappearing into the kitchen.

***
I swing open the door to my new room and groan in annoyance.

There's a bunk bed, meaning that I'm going to have to share my room with Baliyo. I love him, yes. But sometimes I need my privacy. And, he sleep talks.

I walk into the centre of the room, the smell of lavender and rosemary surrounding me, and take it all in.

Cream coloured walls surround me, and the carpet is a dusty grey. There's a single wardrobe next to the bunk bed, which probably won't be able to hold all my clothes, let alone Baliyo's as well. The wooden desk is a decent size and there's a window above it with horribly bright lilac curtains, looking out at the murky city below. There's a tall, large bookshelf in the corner of the room, filled to the brim with what looks like school books. Surprisingly, I don't recognise them.

"Huh. I don't remember taking algebra..." I say, picking up an algebra study book and flipping through the pages. It still has that fresh book smell, so it must be brand new.

"You'll be taking it at your new school." A deep voice says behind me.

I quickly spin around, almost dropping the book, but quickly calm down after seeing my uncle, Surak, standing in the doorway.

"I bought all those books for you, y'know. Cost me a fortune." He complains playfully while running a hand through his long, dark hair.

I give him a small smile,"Thanks." I say, barely louder than a whisper.

He places a hand on his chest as if I've said something hurtful and frowns. " I emptied my bank account for you, and all I get in return is a 'Thanks'?"

I laugh at his little remark and walk over to him, knowing exactly what he wants. He opens his arms out to me, and I run straight into them, giving him a tight hug. "I missed you, Princess." He tells me caringly.

I bury my face in his chest, and I can't help but break out in tears. I feel like my life is falling apart right in front of me, and Surak is one of the only people who's been here the whole time. Comforting me whenever I need someone to talk to, or even just cry to.

I can feel his hands gently running through my messy hair, attempting to comfort me. "I know you're going through a lot right now, Rani. But you're going to love it here. Plus, you get to live with your favourite uncle now." He tells me with a calm tone.

I force a small corner smile and wipe the tears from my face with my sleeve. "You're...you're my only uncle." I say, slightly cheered up.

Surak releases me from the hug and places a hand on my shoulder. "Even better!" He exclaims cheerfully. "Come on, Princess. Dinner is waiting. And you know how mad Nirmala gets when we're late for dinner." He says with a smirk.

I nod in agreement and follow Surak out of my room.

~~~~~
♡♡♡
I hope you enjoyed this chapter :D Please leave a review and your opinions!!!