~ Chapter 6 - Babysitter ~

"Are you still mad at Auntie?" Baliyo asks me as we're finishing up our cereal. Coco Pops for him, and Frosted Flakes for me.

I roll my eyes and give him his answer, "Not that it's any of your business but, no. I'm not."

Okay, I know that was a bit rude, but he's always getting into my business. That's another reason why I can't stand the fact of sharing a room with him. He's found my diary and read it back to front an uncountable amount of times when we lived back in Scotland, and that was when we had separate rooms! I can't bring myself to imagine what he might do now.

Baliyo gives me a pouty face and crosses his arms. He's clearly mad at me.

"What?" I ask.

"I'm going to tell Auntie that you're being mean to me!" He moans in his annoying, high-pitched baby voice.

My mouth hangs open in disbelief, and I drop my spoon into my bowl with a loud clatter. Is he seriously going to rat on me just because I gave him some advice? I can't believe him.

"Fine!" I start, sitting up tall, "But don't come crawling back to me when your classmates start calling you a snitch." I tell him in a wise manner.

Baliyo freezes for a second, contemplating if he should tell or not. It takes him a few moments to make up his mind, but in the end, he picks up his spoon and goes back to devouring his Coco Pops.

'Another successful mission,' I think to myself while high fiving my own hand under the table. Baliyo will believe anything. Sometimes, it can make him look pretty stupid.

I remember one time when he saw something online about the world ending, and he didn't sleep for five days straight. It took us ages to convince him that it was a lie.

But in times like these, I can use his little flaw to my advantage.

As I finish the last spoonful of my cereal, I hear the apartment doorbell ring.

"Nirmala, someone's at the-" I call out.

"I know, Rani!" She shouts back as she rushes to the door.

As she opens the door, I hear an unfamiliar woman's voice. It's cheerful, and she sounds young.

"Hi! I hope I'm not late. Traffic!"

"Of course you're not. If anything, you're early! I wasn't planning to leave for another fifteen minutes." Nirmala informs the woman. "Well, come on in then! I'll make you some tea."

I quickly wipe the milk of my mouth with my sleeve and tidy myself up, not wanting to look like a slob in front of the guest. As Nirmala enters the kitchen with her, I'm stunned.

From her voice, I suspected that she'd be a young adult, but she looks no younger than Nirmala. She possesses a headful of slick, brunette hair which flows perfectly past her shoulders, and her bright, rosy cheeks contrast against her light, olive skin.

She's wearing a violet T-shirt with ripped jeans and white Air-Forces. Her outfit is simple, but she pulls it off so perfectly. I wish my style was as good as hers. I smile at her, and she returns the favour.

"This is my niece, Rani, and my nephew, Baliyo." Nirmala informs the woman with a broad smile. Nirmala then turns to us, "Guys, this is Lillianna from my work. Baliyo, she'll be babysitting you while me and your sister are away."

Lillianna turns to Baliyo and gives him a sweet smile. "So you're the rascal that I'm looking after today! Oh, you look so adorable!" She squeals, making Baliyo red with embarrassment.

I can't help but snicker at his little 'Pout fest', which only makes him more embarrassed.

"I don't need a babysitter, I'm ten!" He protests.

Nirmala shakes her head, and Lillianna giggles. See? I'm not the only one who finds 'Mad Baliyo' funny.

"But we're going to have so much fun!" Lillianna says with a bit too much enthusiasm.

"I don't wanna have fun. I wanna play Minecraft!" He shouts before running out of the kitchen, almost knocking me over on the way.

Nirmala gives Lillianna an apologetic look, but Lillianna just laughs it off. "I've dealt with worst kids. Trust me, I can handle a little tantrum."

"Are you sure? Because I can just bring him with me."

No, please don't.

"No way! Believe me, by the end of the day, he's going to think of me as his best friend. He probably won't even want me to leave!" She informs Nirmala with a comforting smile.

Thank the Kings.

Nirmala takes a few breaths to regain herself, then gives me a hand gesture to tell me to get my things. So that's exactly what I do.

As I'm placing my things into my white mini-bag, I can hear the two talking in the kitchen. I don't pay much attention to it as it's mostly about work and gossip about their husbands. But as soon as I hear my name, I'm all ears.

"Rani, she's gotten into that school that I was talking about." Nirmala says. I frown, remembering that I have school tomorrow.

"Really? No way! You must be so proud!" Lillianna says.

"Of course I am." She responds, making me smile.

"I should ask Zuri to show her around."

"Oh, that would be lovely. I think Rani would really like that."

First off, I hate anything to do with social interaction. So thanks, but I'll pass. And second, who's Zuri? Nirmala's never mentioned her before. Maybe she's a friend of Lillianna's that goes to that school..? Or, maybe she's Lillanna's daughter? I'll ask Nirmala later.

"I better be going." I hear Nirmala say which snaps me out of my trans. "There's pizza in the freezer for dinner - that needs to be put in the oven for fifteen. Baliyo needs to be in bed by 8:30. Otherwise, he gets grouchy. Oh! And don't forget to give him his medication."

Lillianna laughs, "Calm down, Mala! I've got everything under control. And if I need to, I'll call."

"Are you sure?" Nirmala asks douptfully while slipping on her coat.

"Yes!"

I can tell Lillianna's getting a bit annoyed at having to repeat herself, but that's just Nirmala for you. Always doupting and overthinking everything. I think that's where I got it from.

"Rani, are you ready to go?" Nirmala asks.

I nod while swinging on my bag.

"Alright, bye Baliyo!" She calls up the stairs, but Baliyo doesn't answer. I guess he's still pretty pissed off about the whole babysitter thing...

We step out of the apartment, and Nirmala locks the door behind us. Before we head off, she gives me a determined look.

"You ready?" She asks.

To be honest, I'm not sure. In the time that I've been here, I haven't gotten used to the city at all. I mean, it's so...different. But after all Nirmala's done for me and Baliyo, I don't want her to be worried. So I put on a smile and nod.

"Ready as I'll ever be."

~~~~~
***
I haven't posted in a while, so I hope this makes up for it! 😁

If u liked this chapter, pls vote as it would mean a lot to me! Also, leave your reviews in the comments :D

If you have any questions about the story, just ask in the comments, and I'll answer as many as I can. I might not answer a few due to spoiler purposes, so pls don't be disappointed if I don't :>

Anyways, have a nice day!!!