Chapter 3

"I think we should get Eve a pet," Aziraphale announced.

Crowley looked to the angle, eyebrows raised. "What?"

Aziraphale shifted his weight with giddiness. "Well Eve needs companionship," he simply declared. Both felt residual rage from the previous school year which ended up with Eve having no friends to meet during the summer. "You know just how much she loves animals, having one of her own would make her so happy. Not to mention all the developmental benefits of having a pet in the home."

Criwleh sat down his spray bottle, knowing this was truely going to be a conversation. "You are aware we'd end up being the ones to take care of it," he pointed out. Eve was stoll young and couldn't be expected to do many things for a pet. "And surely you've thought about having an animal around all your precious books."

"Indeed I have," the angel said with pride. "I have come to the conclusion a cat would be the best option."

--------

Eve was looking around the shelter in excitement. The sound of dog barking and the meows of cars could be heard from just down the ways. Papa needed to hold onto her hand to keep her from running off. They did not need a repeat of what happened when they went to the zoo.

Her parents spoke momentarily to the worker at the front desk. It didn't take long until they were shown back to the animals. Eve grew sad with how many were there. While all the kennels and cages were not full, there was more animals there than there should be. But people were mean and cruel and would take it out on what ever they could, be it another person or an animal.  "Can we have them all?" Eve asked her Papa, distressed about what would happen to the rest of the animals.

"No can do ya little monster," Crowley sighed, scoping up the girl and placing her on his shoulders as to see more of the cats lounging in donated beds and blankets. "We wouldn't be able to give all of them a happy home. They're stay here isn't forever, only till someone comes along and adopts them. And today we're gonna help one of them."

"But I want to help all of them," Eve whined, pouting into her dad's hair.

Aziraphale smiled up at her, she had such a kind heart. "Saddly, there will be times where you can't help everyone. Just remeber who you did help and be proud that you were able to at all."

Eve silently looked to the cats, contemplating something. "Two..." she said softly.

"Nope," Crowley disagreed, knowing she could talk Tha angel into if given enough time, and probably him too under enough pressure. "We came here for one pet, and one pet only."

Eve quickly grew excited once again once they started looking at the cats. She seems particularly find of a calico in a lower cage, meowing back and forth like having a conversation. Then as if the conversation ended she moved down to a tabby on the other end of the room, mimicking the noises that cat made.

Crowley a Aziraphale bussied themselves with reading the descriptions of the cat personalities to find the best fit for them. Clearly from Eve's demeanor she'd be happy with just about any cat.

They had a few brought into a small romm to meet personally outside the cage. Mostly they let Eve interact with the cat, after all it would be her pet. Despite the fact she was quite an excitable and active child she sat on the floor paticebtly and quietly, waiting for the cat to get used to their new surroundings. The young tuxedo cat walked up and let Eve pet them, reveling in the attention. The kitten found enjoyment in casing after one of Eve's shoelaces she had taken out of her shoe, much to her parents displeasure. The buff colored long hair just sat before Eve and the two watched eachother, barely moving barely blinking.

The family was back looking at more cats, not sure if they found the right one quite yet. Eve had been left to her own devices, expected to once again find a cat to have a conversation with. Nine of them were ein much of a mood to talk anymore so she wondered further into the shelter's visitor area.

She came to a small area where instead of cages there were tanks. Probably not even ten in total were present. However one was full. "Hey there," a younge worker greeted Eve, coming up to join her, "I see you found our little buddy over here."

"They're alone..." Eve commented, looking into the tank. Inside was a thin snake with an orange and red splotch pattern. It reminded Eve of her skin condition. The little guy peaked his head out of his hiding spot, looking at the girl.

"We honestly don't get man reptile or rodents here," the worker explained, "Someone needed to surrender their snake and brought it to us. We've been sending emails back and fourth with a local reptile store to see if they'd be willing to take them. No one really comes to a shelter looking for a snake."

Eve softly smiled at the snake. It's story was quite a bit like her own. She brought a single finger up near the glass, bending it as if waving to the snake. "Hey there little guy," she greeted him, "Your pretty young too aren't ya?"

Slowly the snake came out of its hiding spot, coming close to the glass. It lifted up it's head to be even with her still out stretched finger. It's tounge flicked out for a moment. Eve let out a little giggle.

"It seems he likes you," the worker commented, "Would you like to hold him?"

Eve looked up at the young woman with wide eyes. "Can I!?" she asked excited.

The woman smiled. "Of course you just have to promise to stay calm and not to drop him, alright?"

Eve nodded vigorously. "Got it. I promise."

The worker carefully took of the mesh tip nd reached in to grab the corn snake. He happily wrapped himself around her hands. "From my experience he's quite the effectionate guy," she explained, "Now hold out your hands."

Eve snapped to attention holding out two cupped hands. The worker slowly brought the snake over to Eve, letting the animal slither into the girl's hands in tis own.

He made himself eight at home, slithibg up her arms and investigating her hair. Eve softly laugh. "That tickles," she told the snake.

"There ya are ya little monster," Crowleyet out a sigh of relief as he spited his daughter. "What ch'ya got there?"

Eve smiled up at her Dad. "It's a snake!" she happily declared. On cue the little things head piped out of her hair. It looked to Crowley and flicked it's tongue in recognition.

"I see that," Crowley commented in amusement. "I e away told you something was gonna make a home in your hair."

Eve giggle. "Can we have him?" she asked, "I know you said only one pet, and I'd want him more than a cat."

Crowley looked at her, both in awe and confusion. Not many humans liked snakes, expecially of a cute furry kitten. "Let see what Angel says," he sighed. He wanted to say yes, but he couldn't make decisions aline when it came to Eve.

----------

"What are you going to name him?" Aziraphale asked, packing back at his daughter. She had such a wide smile on her face, her new pet sitting safely next to her in a carrier provided by the shelter.

"Ouroboros," Eve was quick to declare. A snake swallowing it own tail, an emblem of infinity. "Orbi for short."