Chapter 6

"Can I try out for a play?" Godeleve blurted out in the middle of dinner.

"Dodie?" Aziraphale questioned, "Where is this coming from?" Ever since Godeleve had been in the same class as another rgolr who's name was Eve, she had changed to being called Dodie. It had been something to get used to, but they had adjusted.

"Well, umm," she mumbled, "Yona has been part of a children's theater group for a couple years now, and she makes it sound like fun. I thought maybe I could try out for it, or maybe even another one."

"Do you really want to be in a play, or do you jsit want to do something with your friend?" Crowley wondered, "Cause what your asking for is a big responsibility, you can't just stop because you don't feel like it anymore. Your more than welcome to have Yona come over more often if you just want to spend time with her."

"I honestly think it sounds like fun," Dodie confessed. "I did some googling, and there's one here in Soho, and the one Yona goes to is in Camberwell."

Aziraphale and Crowley shared a look at eachother. Neither could see a reason why not. Eve had never shown an interest in any activity that could be done outside of their home. "I don't see why not," Aziraphale answered for the both of them, "But give us some time to look into where, alright."

"Of course," Dodie agreed excitability, "Thank you." She then returned to eating her dinner at an almost alarming rate.

-------

The small theater was filled with the murmur of children and the parents who had brought them to the audition. Both Crowley and Aziraphale had came, wanting to support Eve in her decision. The production they were to put on was Sleeping Beauty, and surely every girl wanted the lead role.

Dodie however did not. Wouldn't she spend most of the okay pretending to be asleep? She'd much prefer to be a fair of sorts, be it evil or good. Though she would be happy to be cast in any role at all.

She stood up on the stage in a line with all the other kids trying out. From tallest to shortest, she happened to be on the taller end, probably the youngest one there. Standing up on that stage, looking out at the theater cause a thrill to rush over her, as well as something grab at her stomach. The only epeipl out there now we're only mildly interested parents, what would it be like filled with strangers hanging on every word. She found her parents sitting near the front on to stage right. They flashed her smiles noticing how she was looking at them.

"Alright, who's next," the director called out to the children. Seeing as they wrre going down the line, it was Dodie's turn.

She stepped foward like all those before her had. "Hi, I'm Dodie Crowley-Fell," her name, "I'm ten years old," her age, "I go to South Bank Primary," her school. All simple things to answer, and to see how their voices carried. Her's carried in an odd way. Not bad, but liuder than expected. In no way was she shouting, but her voice seemed to act irregularly to the acoustics of the building. Even though she was denying fright with each word she spoke.

-------

Dodie came walking in from school, not expecting it to be different from any other day. "Dodie, I have good news," Papa called out to her as she was heading to the stairs. She had some homework she wanted to finish before what she learned in lessons was too stale in her mind.

"Edgar Allen Poe came back from the dead!?" she asked as a joke. Dodie had been an advanced reader for her age for quite some time, no surprise to anyone there. However she was quite a fan of Gothic literature and poetry. Dodie's disappointment in Poe's early death is a running joke in the family.

"Saddly that miracles has yet to pass," Aziraphale commented, just as he always done. "However I got a call from the Soho's children theater, and you got the part of the evil fairy." He wore a wide smile and did a small dance in celebration.

Dodie sorta just stood there. To stop the anxiety she had told herself she hadn't gotten a part. Be it her awkward height or voice having a mildly deeper register, expecially for her age.

"Shouldn't you be excited?" Crowley asked, noticing how despite the smile the girl didn't appear to age a reason to be.

"Probably," Dodie softly mumbled.

Crowley came over, pulling her into his side, for a partial hug. "Then why aren't you?" he wondered.

Aziraphale came over to her free side, pinning her between the two of them in a suprotive embrace. "There no reason to be ashamed, you can tell us what your thinking," he assured her.

Dodie looked to the ground and took a deep breath. "I was scared," she confessed, "Up there in the stage. It was just the parents them, but I was worried about everything. Like they catch any little mistake I'd make judge what I say and how I say it, what I do and assume why I do it. I don't want to imagine what it would feel like if there were thousands of strangers eyes watching me. I don't think I'd be able to do anything."

Aziraphale leaned his head to rest atop his daughter's. "They won't judge you, not one bit," he assured her, "You did wonderful, and you will conto ue to do so. There is no reason to fear judgement from others."

"Who cares if they do," Crowley scoffed, softly nudging her. "What do they know. Only person's who opinion matters is your own."

Dodie took a shaky breath, "I know. But... I... it's..."

"I can give them a call and let them know you can't," Aziraphale offered, "But I truely hope that you choose to go through with it. You were so excited when you brought up the idea. I've only seen you that excited about animals before."

"And if anyone is says anything mean, let ue knwo, and we'll give them what for," Crowley offered.

"Crowley," Aziraphale scolded him. "Violence isn't the answer. Though I wouldn't be against a stern talking to."

Dodie softly laughed. "Can I think about it?"

"Of course," Aziraphale assured her cupping her cheek. "Just don't drag it out too long."

"Now, com'on Monster, what homework do you need help with?" he reminded her about what they spoke of on the way home.

---------

Dodie was practically shaking as she stepped back of stage. She had no idea how she hid the fact she was terrified out there. She felt like she was gonna vomit the entire time. Yet her voice did not shake, not did her expression falter.

"Time for curten call," the director gathered the actors back stage that had lot track of time, no longer having to be part of the performance.

Dodie, being the antagonist of the story lead a line of her fellow actors out on stage, for her to stand next to the leads of the play. The sound of applause and cheering flooded her ears. She looked out at the crowd. It was opening night so she could spot the familiar faces of parents of the other actors about the crowd, which probably consisted of more family and friends than anyone else.

Dodie just turned off all her sense, sound growing muffled and vision blurry. She just smiled and waved, mimicking those at her side for cues of when to head off stage.

Dodie continued to be in that dase as she followed the crowd of performers out to the theater lobby to greet the friends and family. She wasn't shaken out of it until a bouquet was forced in her arms.

She took a deep breath, looking up to what she expected to only be her parents. Instead there were some friends as well. Those she rarely got to see, the ones who live in Tadfield: Adam, Piper, Brian, and Wenslydale. "What are you doing here?" she asked, sounding mildly frightened now.

"We invited them," Aziraphale said standing behind the group of teens.

"You think you could tell us your in a play and expect that we didn't want to see it?" Adam teased her.

Piper rushed to hug her, careful of the bouquet and costume pieces. "You did amazing," she commented.

"Yeah, did you hear that baby start to cry?" Brian added.

Dodie awkwardly laughed, "I sorta just zoned out up there."

"Now, it wasn't that bad was it?" Crowley wondered, stepping up to hand her yet another bouquet.

"Yes, yes it was," Dodie stressed, "But I guess I survived."

"Thats the spirt," Aziraphale celebrated.