Chapter 8 | Wait and Rank

"Ready... Go!" Kalego said as all the students flew.

>>Kazuhiko, speed up my flight speed using light.<< She ordered. <<Understood.>> He increased her wings speed by infusing them with the light element. While Nadeshiko may appear to be fast in the eyes of others, it was quite slow for her. But still fast enough to get there before Kalego.

Seeing the surprised look on Kalego's face was worth it to her. She decided to take it one step further. "Took you long enough~" She said as she was reading her book with a smile on her face. 'Yup, pissing off Kalego is my new hobby alright.' She thought.

"How did you-" Kalego was about to say something before shutting up not wanting to know anymore. "Hm. Your wings, you're fallen aren't you?" He asked. Genuinely curious.

"Yes I am. However, any other details are none of your concern" She calmly said with a smile. "Hmph." He sat down and drank his tea as he turned on the cameras to look at how the other students are doing. Nadeshiko then walked over and looked as well.

Picero, Camui, and Lead were flying at a decent pace but still slowly. As if they didn't care much.

"Crap. I forgot to save the boss fight." Lead said. Camui then flew down and grabbed a flower. Camui flew up and gave them to Elizabetta and Keroli while saying, "Ladies, may I fly by your side?" He said.

'These demons are hopeless.' Nadeshiko and Kalego thought internally. Kalego then changed the camera.

Jazz, Schneider, and Goemon were flying by each other at a similar pace to the other three. Jazz flew down and grabbed a demon bird's egg, asking whether they thought it would sell for a good price. "If you boil it, do so for 8 minutes. And add just a dash of salt." Schneider said. Then demon birds flocked by them and pecked at them angrily.

"I'm surrounded by idiots." Kalego said. "Ne Kalego-sensei don't say that~!" Nadeshiko teasingly said, still watching the cameras. "Hm, fine I guess you're an exception seeing as you caused me less trouble and actually tried." The cameras changed.

On the camera, Azz flew swiftly by the camera. He looked down and was attacked by some flowers that shot out something that could have pierced through him. "I guess I can't just avoid them.." Azz said. He then summoned his Gorgon snake and burned all of the flowers.

As he finished burning them, he felt someone tapping on his head saying. "Again!" It was Clara. "You.. When did you?!" He asked with his eyes twitching. "From the start I hopped on your back and then you flew!!" She said happily.

As he was flying, Azz noticed someone else. It was Sabro. He also noticed Sabro going to Cutthroat Valley. "That idiot!" He yelled. "You're slowing down Azz-Azz!" Clara said and then Azz looked forward again. He got caught in some vines.

"Azz-Azz help! I'm tangled and can't get free!" Clara said nonchalantly. "What am I supposed to do when I am also stuck?!" As they were struggling the vines snapped and they fell off.

Suddenly, Kalego was alerted that someone had passed through Cutthroat Valley. "Haah~ It seems he is a muscle brain more than anything eh~?" Nadeshiko said calmly. "Every year there is at least 1 idiot like him."

"Well, if we're lucky, we'll be able to at least retrieve his arm or leg." Kalego concluded. "How everso unfortunate~!" Nadeshiko said. "You don't even sound concerned!" Kalego yelled.

"Hm~ Also Kalego-sensei, where is my brother? I was wondering why we haven't seen him." Kalego looked through the cameras. "The demoniters must have lost him."

'Hm, I shouldn't worry too much. That kid has some good luck. I'm sure he'll live. Haha, now that I think of it, were quite the opposites. I could be considered a demon amongst angels, and Iruma could be considered an angel amongst demons.' Nadeshiko thought.

A few minutes later, Azz and Clara arrived at the end. "Hm? Oh, hi Azz-kun, Clara~!" Nadeshiko said to the two. "Nadeshiko-sama! As expected you have already arrived! But, where is Iruma-sama?" He asks. "Unfortunately I don't know." She said bluntly.

"Hm. I guess Nadeshiko is first, you are second, and that vermin is third." Kalego concluded. Later on again, almost everyone except Iruma and Sabro arrived. "Those two are sure late huh?" Elizabette said.

"There's no point on waiting for them." Kalego said as he was about to cross out their names. "Silence. The lesson is now over." Azz protested on this insisting that they wait. But Kalego ignored this and was about to continue anyway until they heard a loud roar.

When they looked over, they saw Iruma and Sabro flying on the guardian. This stunned all of them.

Timeskip, since Iruma and Sabro were last, and on top of that late, they were in the box of shame. Clara was throwing rocks at Sabro saying, "You suck boo hoo."

Now everyone had lined up as an owl flew over to them. "This is a rank owl. He was watching and examining your every move during the exam." A lot of the students made jokes about the owl and Kalego's bird form.

"Urk! Moving on. If you put your hand in its belly you will receive your rank." Kalego explained to them.

Since Nadeshiko was the first to arrive, she was first to receive her rank. She put her hand in the rank owls belly and took it out. "N-no way. She got a Khet?!" One of the students said surprised. The others were also very surprised. Kalego almost fainted upon hearing this.

Even Sabro, who had already declared Iruma to be his Rival was stunned. Azz was next, he got a dalet. Then Clara who got Gimmel. And so on and so forth.

Finally it was Iruma's turn. He put his hand inside the rank owl's belly. "What weird thing do you think he's gonna pull out this time?" Lead asked. "Maybe another bird familiar?" Jazz jokingly responded.

"Nonsense. The rank owl hasn't made a peep in a century-" As Kalego was about to finish his sentence, he was cut off by the owl suddenly screeching. "TILL NOW!!" He yelled.

The rank owl then flew away. "W-wait! I still haven't gotten my rank yet!" Iruma said. Then the other students backed away from Iruma. "Huh? What's wrong?" He asked, confused. "O-on your hand Iruma."

Iruma looked at his hand to see a ring. He tries to take it off but panics as it won't come off. Then a black figure appears outside of it. "H-huuh?!!!?" At first Sabro thought it was the ring of Solomon, but he never heard of a black figure coming out of it.

The black figure starts to screech loudly. Nadeshiko puts up a sound barrier so she won't be affected. But the others are on the ground. Iruma tries to calm it down, seeing as he isn't affected. "Try something to calm it down!!!" Lead said.

Iruma tries singing to it and it kind of works. Clara does the same. And surprisingly it works.

Sabro tries to help but he falls down immediately as the black figure touches him. Azz attempts to help as well but also falls down. He coughs blood while trying to appear fine.

"Iruma, let me get a closer look-" Kalego suddenly flinched as his arm seemed to disappear. The black figure seemed to be threatening him. As Kalego raised his finger and was about to do something until Nadeshiko teleported in front of him and pushed Kalego down.

"Now now Kalego-sensei~ We don't need to take such drastic measures~!" She said. Before Kalego could respond, a certain Egg grandfather appeared. "Thank you for protecting your brother Nade." Sullivan said. "Hm, no problem grandpa." She said, still smiling gently.

"Hi~!! Iruma it's your beloved grandpa~!!! Bad Kalego! You can't just cut off Iruma's arm." Sullivan said. "C- cut off my arm?!" Iruma said, surprised. "Iruma-sama's... That's awful!" Azz said, still on the ground.

"I believed that the students were in danger, that's all." Was Kalego's excuse. The black figure suddenly grew. Nadeshiko put her finger on its mouth and sent a small percent of her magicules into it. The thing almost exploded due to the unfamiliar magic but still survived and got sucked back into the ring.

"I- it's gone!" Iruma was surprised. "You see Iruma-kun, that ring is called the Gluttonous Feeder ring. It feeds off the mana of others. But I never saw it almost explode. What did you give it Nadeshiko?" Sullivan explained and asked. "That's a secret." She calmly said.

"Hm, well no matter. As long as all the student's are safe it's perfectly fine!" He gathered them and took a picture.