Chapter 5

Belly and Conrad arrived at the house and other than normal times, Belly felt cold about the house. She saw a for sales sign up against the house as she realized Conrad didn't have a reaction. He was blank. She laid her hand on his and he gently smiled at her. Things was different this year. The car stopped and Belly saw the man coming out of the house as Conrad stepped out of the car.

"Dad," Conrad said as Adam simply looked at his son.

"What are you doing here?" Adam asked as he saw Belly.

"Hi, Mr. Fisher. How are you?" Belly asked.

"What is she doing here?" Adam asked as Belly exhaled.

"She and I were at the beach house. Laurel thought that might be good for us to spend some time together. I came to pack up my things since you are completely selling the place that we called home for years," Conrad said.

"Don't play on me. It's your fault your brother is dead," Adam said as Belly looked shocked at the man.

Adam and Conrad never got along well, but to hear a father blaming his own son for the death of his youngest wasn't something she ever thought she would hear. In a way, Belly thought that since Susannah's death, they would become closer.

"I did not cause Jeremiah's death," Conrad stated while Belly knew she had to give them some space.

"I'm gonna go up and get started on packing," Belly said as she went inside the house.

"Thank you, Belly. It is not my fault Jere went to take you on. In fact, if you had never cheated that whole conversation between you and Mom would never have happened. I would never had heard it, and then I wouldn't have struggled with that secret for a year," Conrad said.

"Be careful with who you speak. I am still your father," Adam said.

"My father died four years ago when I out about the affair. I don't have one anymore," Conrad said as he went inside the house.

Belly was sitting by the stairs. She heard the conversation and although she didn't say anything, her actions were much louder. She embraced Conrad as he exhaled and held her tight.

"He is never going to forgive me," Conrad said.

"Does it matter?" Belly asked.

"I know the truth about what happened, so do you, and I know although he was mad at us, Jere wouldn't want you to feel guilty," Belly said.

"Yeah, I know," Conrad said.