ii. the troll (not) in the dungeon

⋆☆.* ✧✰ .✦⋆*☆

KATES' FIRST TWO MONTHS at Hogwarts flew by so quickly, she almost suffered from whiplash just thinking about it. Dean was in Gryffindor with them too, and they were all quick to befriend the sweet but sort-of-hopeless Neville Longbottom. Hermione was one of Kates' dormmates, and whilst she wouldn't consider them to be friends, she found the other girl's fascination with magic endearing—besides, Hermione didn't have any friends, so Kates made it a point to at least be there for her.

Early on, she found a surprising ally in Professor McGonagall. As it turned out, the professor made it a point to meet with new Gryffindors who came from families like hers. It was a rare situation, sure, but the woman had told her that it happened on occasion. She wanted to make sure everything was all right and reassure her that, as she realized that first night, she'd be safe at Hogwarts.

Well, safe from that particular problem, at least. As she would come to learn, she just so happened to be at Hogwarts during its most dangerous years to date.

The Hallowe'en feast was something everyone in the castle was looking forward to, Kates included. It would be a chance to spend more time with her friends and housemates, not to mention she'd get to enjoy delicacies beyond what they were served each night. Besides, fall was her favorite time of year and the Hallowe'en decorations made her feel all sorts of giddy. Her family, unsurprisingly, never decorated for any holiday or season, so seeing decorations beyond what Aunt Jackie put out was reason enough for celebration.

"My mum and stepdad love Halloween," said Dean once Kates had brought the subject up, taking a moment to shovel one last spoonful into his mouth before setting the cutlery down with a dramatic air of finality. Their stomachs were all nearing capacity; Kates had been the first to finish and had been nibbling on a slice of cake as they talked. "They always have the house decorated for it, sometimes even more than they do for Christmas."

"My mam hates Halloween," said Seamus with his mouth full. He took a moment to finish eating before continuing. "Says it gives us all a bad name."

"I mean, she's not wrong," mumbled Neville, and he at least covered his mouth with his hand as he spoke. That was the thing about being friends with boys, Kates mused to herself, but she didn't mind it in the slightest. In fact, she found it great; her family we always so uptight, it felt good to get as far away from that as possible.

"I can't wait to see the Great Hall during Christmastime," she said dreamily, setting her fork down as she decided she couldn't possibly eat another bite. "I heard Hagrid brings in the most gorgeous trees—" Her next words were drowned out entirely as yelling erupted from the back of the hall. She was quick to identify the source: poor Professor Quirrell was running down the middle aisle toward the teachers' table, shouting words she couldn't quite hear over the chatter that filled the hall. Thankfully, everyone was just as curious as she was; all talking ceased as he reached the end of the tables.

"Troll in the dungeon!" he shouted one last time. Then, in a much quieter voice, he said: "thought you'd want to know". He fell to the ground then and there, probably having fainted. Kates' brows furrowed together.

"How did a troll—" But again her next words were drowned out. Many people started to scream and some tried to run, but no one really got anywhere. Dumbledore called for silence, and that seemed to make everyone come to their senses. No one moved, and the hall was eerily silent, the only sound being the thunder that clapped outside.