Taking The Next Step

Another year, another new one shot. I feel like at this rate, you should expect a new one shot every year😄. I'm not joking when I say this particular one shot has taken me almost three years to write. I didn't know what angle to take, and then suddenly, inspiration hit me like a truck and now here we (finally) are.

You can thank season 6 for that, which I recently finished. (I'm late, I know. BTW, fantastic season. Much better than season 5, imo). It may waffle for a bit, but I'm just glad I got this done. Without further do, I hope you enjoy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Maybe we could move in together."

Izuku had no idea where that thought suddenly came from. There wasn't a previous discussion similar to it. The thought itself never appeared in his mind before then. Nothing across the past hour was building up to that conclusion. Except it did.

He had finished his hero shift for the day, which lasted from morning to evening. And although he was fulfilled in his continuing contribution to the hero society and ensuring the safety of others, it did leave him completely exhausted. Instead of returning to his apartment, which was an hour and a half away from the agency he was working, Izuku decided to drop by Ochako's place, giving her a call to state his intention.

"Sorry I'm calling at the late minute. The thought of being in a packed train didn't sound appealing to me right now."

"No, no, I understand. It's not a problem at all, I promise." His girlfriend instantly agreed. It wasn't the first time Izuku visited her apartment. In fact, he had been coming over so often, some of his clothes and toiletries were already situated there in case he'd ever stayed overnight.

The moment he arrived 15 minutes later, a routine among them was quickly established. He took a well-deserved hot shower, making sure Ochako had already showed herself before he did, while she ordered takeaway. When the takeaway noodles were delivered, they decided to spend their evening watching an old cheesy All Might movie. For most of the movie, Izuku found himself nitpicking the inconsistencies, with Ochako either humming in agreement or laughing at his frustrations, but soon gave up on his quest by the third act.

As the film reached its epic, but inaccurate, climax, the noodles were finished and dumped on the coffee table and Izuku's arm were wrapped around Ochako's shoulder, pulling her close and leaning his head atop hers. He found himself not even paying attention to the movie, content with watching Ochako, thinking about how beautiful she was and how lucky he was being with her for the umpteenth time.

Perhaps that was why the thought came to his head in the first place. It all felt like they were living together as it is, so attuned with one another and comfortable in their presence. At this point, it made sense to make it official.

The problem was it was meant to be in his head, not to be said out loud.

"What?" Izuku realised his mistake when Ochako turned to face him with a look of surprise on her face. His eyes immediately bulged out as he covered his mouth and backed up a whole seat away from her.

"No, no, no, no! I-I'm sorry! I-I... I d-didn't to... Umm..." All ability to speak faded fast, in conjunction with his face turning red and Ochako's expression remaining the same, was enough for him to get up and make his way to the kitchen behind them, drowning in his embarrassment. For someone who was 23, and already among the top 30 pro heroes, it was quite astonishing how easily he could resort himself back to his younger self.

"Deku, hold on!" Ochako called out to him, prompting him to stop just as he reached the counter in the kitchen space.

"F-Forget what I said." Izuku immediately spoke out but keeping his back to her. "It was a mistake."