Always My Baby

Inko could remember the moment Izuku became infatuated with heroes, especially with All Might. The look of wonder as he watched him rescue those people for the first time. The look of excitement as he was gifted with many All Might merchandises. The look of determination as he pointed to the screen of the clip, a big smile on his face as he declared those words:

"I'm going to be a hero! Just like him!"

She remembered the sinking feeling in her stomach, but regardless, she smiled back at him.

"I'm sure you will, Izuku."

But, deep down, she wasn't sure. Just by looking at the news, she could tell being a hero was not easy. It was a job full of risks, with the large possibility that they could get injured seriously or even killed. And the last thing she wanted was to hear that her baby got killed. Even the thought of such a thing broke her heart.

Deep down, she hoped that would not happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Then, Izuku was diagnosed as being Quirkless. And Inko could remember the feeling of such guilt and shame within her.

The look of devastation when he was told by the doctor there was no chance of him developing a Quirk. The look of sadness as he sat in his room, in the dark, still watching that All Might clip with large tears in his eyes. And yet, there was a slight glimmer of hope as he asked her:

"Do you think... I can be a hero too?"

It torn her heart as she walked up to her son, hugging him as close as she could while her own tears began to fall. She didn't know what to say. How she could make him feel better. Before she knew it, her words slipped out:

"I'm sorry, Izuku. I wish things were different..."

"...It's all my fault..." She thought as she continued to hold Izuku close. Even if she didn't directly caused this, she couldn't help but feel that if she never had wished for Izuku to not become a hero, to not worry about him getting hurt, to not put his life at risk, that she wouldn't be the one who hurt him the most.

That she would be the one who destroyed his dreams.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Inko was surprised at the sudden thought of such a memory. She didn't understand why her mind suddenly decided to conjure it up, allowing her tears to fall. It didn't help that she was shedding some already, about an hour ago.

She wiped them with the hankie in her hand, that she had been abusing so far. Whatever the reason was for her thoughts, she wasn't going to dwell on them. Today was not a day of sadness. It was a day of happiness. Pure, unadulterated happiness.

She looked around the large U.A. courtyard she was in, which was filled with students, parents, and teachers alike, surrounding by chatter from every corner. It was late in the afternoon, so the sun was starting to set over the horizon. She began walking through the crowd, continuing to search the area for someone.

"Mum!"

She stopped in her tracks and she couldn't stop the tears from falling again, this time of pure joy. She turned around where her eyes fell on Izuku in distance, waving at her as he walked towards her, wearing his U.A. school uniform and holding a black cylinder case in his hand. A case that contained his graduation certificate.

The moment he was within reach, Inko didn't stop herself from wrapping her arms around her son and pulling him into a tight hug. Even though he had gotten taller throughout the years, she still managed to wrap her arms around his waist, burying her face into his chest as she allowed her tears to fall with no sign of stopping.