Chapter 40.

Ricardo:
King Kendrick, you seem to get along with many people. How are you and my fiancée acquainted?

Ethan barely saved himself from violent coughing. Caleb almost dropped his forked down. Dominic took a deep breath.

Kendrick:
Me and Diana both worked together for a long time. I thought you would know. Oh, I guess that isn't the case because you are her ex fiancée now.

Invisible rivalry was now apparent, both shooting daggers at each other.

Ethan:
You both worked together? No wonder. How was my dear friend and sister like during your time together?

Kendrick:
We both had the jam of our life. We had a lot of fun. A lot of it.

Ricardo's eyes popped out on his emphasis.
Ethan, perplexed, tried to deny it. But he, Dominic, Ricardo and Caleb understood well enough that something happened between both of the.

Caleb:
Fun. That's great to hear.

' It can't be helped given Diana's personality. Even if she's the cold Darius Hildegarde, her personality is what outshines most of the time.' (Caleb).

' No wonder Kendrick looks so smitten with her. The man he lusted after was after all, the most beautiful and sought-after woman in the world. ' (Dominic).

' He is lucky. To get Diana's attention alone is something of a triumph for a man who looks at her from inside the romantic sphere . But I'm curious as to what occurred.' (Ethan).

Ricardo:
Would you elaborate on the fun part?

Kendrick:
How could I? As they say: what happens in the war, stays in the war.

Dominic:
I quite agree.

Dominic laughed lightly with Ethan. Diana glanced at Kendrick and Ricardo from time to time with an interested expression.
She didn't worry even if Kendrick let slip the sensual details.
Because Ethan, Dominic and Caleb were already aware about it by now because of Kendrick's hint.

Kendrick:
By the way, where is Lady Camilla, Ricardo? Your paramour seemed enthusiastic when I invited her.

' He's doing this on purpose is he? He's already succeeded in downgrading Ricardo further in our eyes as well as Diana's.' (Ethan).

Kendrick:
I'm sorry. But is everything alright may I ask?

Ricardo:
You sure are curious about my private life.

Kendrick:
You were about mine so I thought you wouldn't mind.

Ricardo:
I'll choose not to speak about mine since you refused to give me details of yours.

Kendrick:
I see. But the reason I choose not to was because those details you speak of are a bit too vulgar and sensual to be said out infront of our guests. How about I give you them in private?

Dominic tried to hold in his laughter. Ricardo, enraged, snapped back but we're interrupted by Caleb.

Caleb:
Exquisite feast my friend! Diana, how was it?

Diana:
The food was excellent.

She put down the fork and knife on the plate than got up. The four were finished with their dinner. But Ricardo wasn't.
He reached out to Diana.

Kendrick:
Allow me to escort her majesty this time.

Ricardo:
You did so before coming in.

Kendrick:
Aren't I the host?

Ethan:
Right. You are the host Kendrick.

Diana was still confused seeing both Kendrick and Ricardo's hands reached out.
The young king gently grabbed her hand and lightly pulled her in an urgency to go with him.

Kendrick:
Shall we your majesty?

The young Empress nodded her head, disappearing off.
The rest of the three monarchs watched Ricardo gnashing his teeth whole seeing the couple disappear from the sight.

Ethan:
How about we all catch up on a drink?

Dominic:
Of course. Are you coming Ricardo?

Ricardo:
No need Dominic.

He said in an enraged voice. Dominic with mockery filling the chuckle replied:

Dominic:
Feel free to spend your time sulking like you always have.

Dominic turned to Ethan and Caleb.

Dominic:
Shall we?

Ricardo:
What do you mean sulking?

Dominic:
Exactly as I said. Adrian doesn't seem to trust Kendrick but don't they make a good match?

Ricardo:
What are you implying?

Dominic:
Maybe Diana has fallen in love with him.

Caleb:
Really?

Ethan:
That's news.

Ricardo:
Hah!

Ricardo led out a short laugh.

Ricardo:
Nice joke.

Dominic:
And why is it hard for you to believe that? Both worked under each other. Do you really think that nothing occurred between the two of them even when Kendrick so openly admitted it.

Ricardo:
That man could be lying King Dominic. He's a greedy buffon who stabbed in the back of both his father and the man whom gave him status. Are you both really going to trust that man and push him for the Emperor's seat besides Diana?

Caleb:
Says the person who tried to kill the empress.

Ricardo shut up at his rebuke.

Caleb:
He's not an inferior minded bastard like you Ricardo. Kendrick knows his mistakes and flaws but he isn't ashamed of it. Rather than that, he listens to people and improves areas that need improvement. He's not arrogant or ignorant either.

Ethan:
While Kendrick struggled to revive his kingdom again, you were back in the palace throwing lavish parties with your mistress. And if you want to win at the game Ricardo, you don't always play fair and neat. Diana, Adrian, Elina who are one of the greatest rulers of time also don't go fair and square. They have blood on their hands as much as any of us. So don't talk about backstabbers. No one here is as bigger of a fraud than you.

Ricardo flinched.

Caleb:
You are just a cinderella king.

Ethan ans Dominic grinned at the nickname.

Dominic:
You don't like Diana. You're just greedy for the seat of the Grand Emperor.

Ethan:
Even if you do become the grand Emperor, which you will so obviously not, nothing will help you surpass Adrian. He's a true leader.

Ethan, Caleb and Dominic very clearly remembered the view that time. Even with two bullets piercing his legs, Adrian still stood up, smiled to his fellows behind and raised the flag of unity high in the air.

' You were a true leader that time.' (All).

Ricardo:
You three all act like his slaves very well.

Caleb:
We are not his slaves. We are his friends. And I am very curious about what type of a man Adrian is, personally speaking. And I prefer a company of a good loyal man.

Dominic:
True.

Ethan, frustrated seeing Ricardo's reaction signalled both of them to leave.
They did without bidding him a farewell.