The Truth Hurts

TW: mentioned sacrifice, mentioned death,
Please let me know if I missed any

Niki stood knee deep in the water, arguing with a god. Because of course Dream keeps seeking her out, asking how Ranboo has been. They are around 14 in human years. They have made it their wish to stay with the Goddess of the Sea.

"Just listen! Please!" Drean cried out, wading deeper to catch up.

"What do you want?" Nihachu snapped.

"I want to ask when are you going to tell them? When are you going to take them back."

"I'm not sure." Niki waded deeper.

"It's been years! There's nothing for him here!" The Goddess paused.

"He was broken when I found him. They was all alone when I found them, this is his home!"

She dove into the ocean, letting the waves wash her out.

She wished it'd was the sorrow of it all.

Will he run away? If I say who I really am, would they leave me behind. She swam deeper into the dark blue. I thought I could change him, but was I just as bad as Dream was?

She resurfaced a little ways from her cottage, where Ranboo was surely waiting for her. The Goddess shrunk a bit, her skin turned tanner, all the fins disappeared, and her white eyes held color now.

She'd tell them when she got in the door.

● ● ●

That resolve was broken when she saw Wilbur strumming an acoustic guitar, the strings glowing a faint blue any time they were plucked. And Ranboo, sitting across from the musical god carefully strumming a ukulele.

Niki chalked it up to be a trick of the light that the strings gave off a purple sparkle.

She sat and listened to the two play music, one a god, and one a kid.

Wilbur's music could enchant the soul, he'd never tell her why or what it did. She was content with not knowing.

She wished she could be content with just listening right now.

'Hey Niki!' Ranboo signed when they caught sight of her.

"Hi Ranboo, hi Wilbur." She replied, taking off her cloak.

"Bye Ranboo, I'll see you around."

The younger waved and Wilbur walked out the door.

"Ranboo, I have to tell you something." The Goddess sighed.

'What's wrong?' He tilted his head.

"I have kept a secret from you for a long while, the entire time I've raised you."

Ranboo led her to the table, she sat down, and they sat across.

"I'd like you to know this doesn't change anything on my end, but if you feel wrong about it, we can do something."

'Why? What happened?' Niki wished she could calm the fear in the small boy's eyes.

"You know how I'm always unsure I'm fit to care for you? And how I travel a lot?"

'Yeah?'

"Well, that's because- I'm not like you."

'I know that Niki, you and I are different,'

Niki shook her head sadly. "I mean you will grow up faster than me, you will grow old and die, and I will remain. Your life is only a few hours of mine." Her eyes welled up. "Ranboo- I'm immortal, I'm a Goddess."

Green and Red eyes widened in shock, then realization, then a mix of hurt and horror. 'Are you going to kill me?'

Now it was the goddess's turn to look shocked and horrified. "No, no no no no no, I'm not going to kill you, why would you think that?"

'I was sacrificed to the Goddess of the Sea.' They paused. 'That's you? Isn't it?'

Niki dropped her head. "Yes, I am Nihachu, Goddess of the Sea. But does that make me any different from the person who had rescued you? Who raised you?" The pink haired girl said softly, sadly.

Ranboo took that into account. 'No, but that also doesn't change that you lied to me.'

"I never expected to keep you, Ranboo." She said quietly. "As much as I love you, you deserve so much more than me."

'So, were you just going to rip me away from everything? From Techno and Wilbur?' He wasn't even mad, just heartbroken.

"No, when I introduced you to them, I think I had already made up my mind, that I'd keep you unless, you wanted to leave. It is your decision."

● ● ●

Ranboo sat outside, on a rock a little ways away from the cottage. He didn't know what he wanted. On one hand, Niki had raised them, let them become who they are. The Goddess had never harmed him.

But she also kept a secret from him, part of her personality. Part of Ranboo argued that it wasn't their's to know, but the other part argued that they lived with one another, and that was a huge part of Niki's life she kept from him.

Niki. That wasn't even her name.

Techno would know, he was her good friend. Maybe he'd know how to move forward.

But Ranboo didn't know how to get to Techno's. They didn't feel like asking Niki.

Just then, they saw Dream walking up, and decided to flag him down.

'Hey, can you help me get to Techno's?'

"Why don't you ask Niki?" He asked, a bit bewildered at the request.

'Please? I need to talk to Techno.' He signed desperately.

Dream looked around before sighing. "Alright, but if you tell Niki, she'll kill me." He snapped and a small portal opened right infront of them.

It smelled of parchment paper, ink, and incense.

_____________________________

We f*cking won!

My last Pony show and we won.
(It was sportsmanship, but still!) We never win.

I've been working on this chapter on and off for the last 4 days.

Have a great day/night my friends!💙💙💙💙💙💙