The clouds part, and I beg for forever

TW: death, blood, kinda anything from last chapter can apply. Suicidal thoughts, infection, poison, If you haven't cried already, here's Enderchest.
Please let me know if I missed any.

The young wolf lay next to his boy, his person, and his forever, feeling the life slowly drain out of him. It had taken so much effort for them to even place their hand on the wolf, and he whined, soft and low, yet it was the only sound now that Ranboo's labored breathing had stopped. It echoed hauntingly through the group of people surrounding the boy.

They slowly dispersed, going back to whatever their lives included. Whatever their lives meant.

What did Enderchest's life mean? Now that his person was gone, what was the point of being here.

Eventually only Niki and Techno remained. One kneeling by the dead mortal, and the other resting a hand on their shoulder, head dipped in respect. Enderchest sighed, closing his eyes gently.

The wolf didn't care what the two gods did, he just wished to die beside his person. He just wished the universe would grant him that mercy, and it almost did. He could feel the poison infecting him, running through his body and making him weak.

But the weight settled over his back was lifted, forcing the young wolf to lift his head. Niki had lifted the human boy up, and Enderchest whined. Why couldn't they just give him this? Let him die beside his mortal companion.

Mortal. Maybe too wide of a word.

Enderchest was mortal, but he'd live hundreds maybe even thousands of years, where Ranboo would've only lived to 100 if they were lucky.

Should've. He should've lived far past 17.

Techno called him, but the wolf couldn't find the strength to haul himself up. He closed his eyes sadly, wishing Ranboo would've been beside him.

He had always wished this day would never come.

Now he wished it didn't come as soon as it did.

The young wolf awoke to Henry sitting beside him. The old wolf nudged him, tilting his head. Enderchest merely sighed, and turned his head to rest on the other side of his body.

But the older wolf was persistent, and asked again, to which Enderchest hauled himself up, and sat facing Henry. He had just watched his person die. If anyone were to understand, he figured it'd be Henry.

But the old wolf merely sighed, looking at the younger one with tired eyes. Ranboo's life was cut far too short, just as his boy's was. But humans always lived a year, a month, a day too short, but they still lived, they still laughed and played like they had forever.

That was something that shouldn't go unnoticed.

● ● ●

Niki and Techno tended to the body, pulling the sword out, and cleaning it up, they worked methodically, just like last time. Phil and Kristin arrived to help soon after.

Ranboo's body was buried where Niki's cottage once stood. The allium was still tucked in his hair, hauntingly pretty, and untouched.

The grave marked the day all the gods put their foot down, Pledging to destroy any town who ever sacrificed a child.

Niki never rebuilt her cottage, instead  she lived in her grotto, away from the shore.

But, whenever she had the chance, she'd visit the grave, and place something on it. Sometimes, she'd see things she didn't put, and knew it was Enderchest's doing.

One day, she decided to visit the mortal realm, and found herself at the sacrificial site where Ranboo had almost died. She sat on the edge of the cliff, her legs dangling to the sea far below.

Someone tapped her shoulder lightly, and she turned to see Kristen. "What are you doing here Kristen?"

Kristen smiled lightly. "Thought I'd bring someone you'd like to see."

A boy, no older than 17 stepped out of Kristen's shadow. He had black and white hair, and a purple slash across his chest. Red and green eyes met hers. "Hi Niki, I don't need saving this time." They said with a smile.

When the Goddess tried to hug the boy, instead of cold air, she found fluffy black and white hair, and arms hugging back.

"You seemed to have rescued quite a magical child." Kristen said with twinkling eyes.

"I guess I did."

_______________________________

Did you like the book?

I hope you did.

My next set of books will include a story with my own characters. I really hope you'll all like it, and you'll find a character you resonate with. I'm not quite sure what the plot or setting will be, so if you guys have any suggestions, please tell me.

Lament of the Abandoned as the title played a key role in the story. There are a few Easter eggs, but that one was the biggest, let me know if you realized it.

Have a great day/night my friends! 💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙