Chapter 2: Walter's Helping Hand

Work was long and tiring. There were too many things that you had to fill in for since one of the employees had to leave. You were relieved that your work at Stacy's was over. As you left the store, you thought about Bart again and Lisa. The invitation was still on your mind and you kept debating if you should go. Lisa was always sniffing bad things out, she was smart for that. Bart always had his guard up, he was ready for most things. He looked worried about you and Lisa. You told yourself to not worry about it too much. This mysterious party has been on everyone's mind. You knew what to do anyway if things at a party would cross boundaries.

You searched for Lisa's number on your phone but you were already getting a call from her. You picked it up. "Hey, Lisa! How's your day been? I was about to call you."

"It's been great! I finished my class and the final question sort of stumped me. Luckily, I solved it. I just arrived at the grocery store. Did you bring your bike again?"

"No, I brought my car. I'm going to head home and wait for you. I can check places that are available for us to do."

"Perfect! Anyway, I better go. I just wanted to let you know how my day is going and to check up on you. Bye!" Lisa hung up.

You wanted to tell her that you saw Bart but she hung up so fast. You sighed, "I guess I will tell her when I get home." You unlocked your car and got in. As you tried to start the car, something was wrong. There was an odd noise coming from inside the front hood. You got out and checked the hood. "What the?! No! Oh, come on! This car has been having its stupid issues lately and this happens now?!" You searched for the issue and spotted it. "Crap, the air filter! It really needs work. I should call a mechanic. I can't leave like this." You pulled out your phone and looked for a mechanic's number.

"La da dee dee dee do, I'm sure the maids will have a blast with these decorations- hm?" Walter spotted you on the phone next to your car. He came up to you. "Sorry to interrupt but do you need help, mam?"

You looked up, "Huh? Oh, I was about to call a mechanic about my car issue. I really do need a helping hand here."

"I am good at fixing up vehicles. Seems to me that your air filter needs a little work. I could cover the cost for your car to be towed to my master's place. I just hope that he is okay with it."

"Are you sure that you really want to do that?"

"I don't mind at all! In the meantime, would you like a ride anywhere?"

"I don't know, I get anxious with strangers. We literally just met."

"I get that. Everyone enjoys a ride from me so I was curious if you wanted one. I tend to help a lot of folks in the neighborhood away from the castle manor."

"Hmmm, I guess so. I need this fixed as fast as possible." Walter grinned with glee before calling up a tow truck to have your car towed to his place.

"It's all set. Here, let me open the door for you." Walter walked up to his car and opened the passenger door with a big smile. You happily went in as he closed the door for you. He got in and started the car. "So where would you like to go?"

"Home. I promised my friend that I would plan to hangout with her. Thanks so much for your help."

"Haha, anytime, anytime! Nice people like yourself deserve help." Walter began to drive off. "If I am going to help with your air filter and to drive the car back to you once it's repaired, I am going to need your keys."

"Oh, right." You placed the car keys in the empty cup holder. "I got to ask, besides helping people, you mentioned that you have a master?"

"Oh, yes. Count Bob is my master that I work for. I'm his butler."

"What?! Count Bob, the man who sent the invitations out to everyone in town?! That Bob?"

"Yes! I gave him the idea of hosting a Halloween party. He wrote the letter and I made copies. Looks like everyone is super excited to attend it. Master Bob will be pleased!"

"I have two pals that are worried about it. What's the party going to be like?"

Walter softly laughed, "That's a surprise but as you already read on the letter that you must wear a masquerade mask and a costume or something formal. I did buy an extra mask. Uh, where do you live?"

"You're close, the road to your right will take you to the neighborhood that I live in. I am a few houses down, I live in a small white house," you pointed.

"Thank you for the directions!" Walter turned his car to the right, arriving at the neighborhood. As he slowed his car down, he observed the house you lived in. "Wow, a nice garden you have there."

"Thanks, it took time to grow the roses and lilies. You should see the backyard. Anyway, I need to call my friend. I appreciate your help once again."

"Anytime! I better get back to your car. They could be there anytime. Take care- uh, what's your name if I may ask?"

"(Y/N)" You answered.

"What a pretty name. My name is Walter. It's nice seeing you! Bye!" Walter headed off as you both waved.

"He wasn't so bad, thank god. Thought that he would be a creep." You shuttered at the thought if he would have acted like one. Heading inside, you noticed from the window that Lisa parked her car in her driveway. She was home but when she came out of the car, she opened the door and grabbed a lot of groceries. She looked drained. You left the house and walked up to her. "Hey, do you need help, Lisa? What happened?"

"People fighting over the last melon. Luckily I had my coupon and bought it. I have to keep using the last coupons I have in my purse but that can wait. Hm? Where's your car?"

"Oh, uh, let's say the air filter wanted to act up on me. I had a stranger help me out. His name is Walter. Get this, he works for Count Bob. Walter is so friendly, he is willing to help me with my car issue."

"That's... Great." Lisa was trying to give you a genuine smile. "Let's head inside. Do you mind helping me get the last bag?"

"Sure!" You went in her car and grabbed the last bag of groceries before following Lisa inside her house.

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

Meanwhile at the castle manor, the two maids were cleaning the foyer. The other maid noticed that a tow truck was dropping off a car in the driveway. Walter pulled up next to it. "I wonder if he bought the master a new car?" Drusilla curiously said.

Rebecca stopped dusting, "I doubt it. Let me see." Rebecca looked out the window. "That's strange. We should ask Walter what he is up to."

"Girls, can we just let Walter do his own thing? I need help cleaning the shelves and putting the books back!" Selene ordered, tapping her foot impatiently.

"Sorry, Selene. Drusilla, let's get back to work," Rebecca pulled Drusilla's arm and dragged her away from the window.

Walter came in, "It's almost nightfall. I still have time before the master wakes up."

Vivi came in with towels in her hands. "Time for what, Walter?" She asked.

"I have to fix this sweet and beautiful lady's car. I think Master Bob will be happy to hear about her. I think she could be the one for him- hopefully anyway."

"That's wonderful news!"

"I need to fix the car ASAP. I just wanted to inform you girls to not say anything about this. I will tell him so you just keep doing your duties. I need to find my tools in the shed. See you girls later!" Walter headed out the door.

"Oh, Master Bob may have a wife! This is exciting news," Vivi said with a smile.

"At least he won't act all gloom and doom if he does," Selene put her fist to her hips as Drusilla and Rebecca giggled about it.