Chapter 3: The Family Secret

"Thanks for helping with the groceries, (Y/N). There was so much to buy and unpack. I am so beat. Good news is that my professor was very proud of my papers. I totally aced politics."

"That is great, Lisa!" You sipped your cup of water. "Still sucks that my car has issues. I hope my car returns to me soon. I don't want my boss to be on my butt about me being late."

"To be honest with you, (Y/N), the man seems nice but sketchy. I am just looking out for you. Let's hope that he isn't a thief or someone who would trash vehicles and say that it's repaired. Anyway, since I picked a movie last time, it is your turn. What would you like to watch or do?"

"That is a good question. Wait, Lisa, I just remembered something. I saw Bart today."

"Really?! I have not seen him in a long time! Where was he? Is he doing okay?" You can tell that Lisa looked genuinely worried. It has been a minute since all three of you hung out together. You also remembered that Bart told you not to say that you saw him at your job. You rubbed the back of your neck nervously, trying to think what to say to her. "Bart didn't say much at all because I only spotted him in the crowd. Sorry, I wished that he could have stayed. I would have come up to him and talked."

Lisa was disappointed, "I see. It's just that I missed us spending time together. He left without a trace. I tried to talk to mom and dad about it, nothing." She sighed but you comforted her by patting her top hands.

"It will be alright. Hey, maybe we could try to talk to others around town about him. Maybe they know some things."

"Yeah, that is a great idea." Lisa was happy with it.

You smiled at her, "Good, then we can rest with ease for now and we will ask others around town tomorrow. Now, my idea is to watch a horror movie. I am on a 20 horror movie streak this month."

"Impressive, I hope you have been getting outside on your days off?"

"Of course I have. I am not that much of a couch potato like Homer is."

Lisa giggled, "Dad can seriously be one and a glutton." Lisa's expression shifted again.

You were concerned. "Are you going to be okay, Lisa? You looked troubled."

"Yeah, of course I'll be okay. I just missed Bart, that's all."

"We'll find him, Lisa. Tomorrow, I promise. I can call off work and we can check around town."

"No, no, you shouldn't really call off work. (Y/N)," Lisa rubbed her arm, debating if she should tell you what she felt and a secret she has been keeping from you. She bit her lip just thinking about it. "There is something I should tell you..."

"What is it?"

"How should I put this without sounding crazy? (Y/N), promise that you won't say a word about my family's secret."

"I won't, we have known each other for a while. You can trust me."

"I do. (Y/N), I have been worried about Bart because of the vampire sightings going around town. He's a vampire hunter. I know that he can defend himself but there may be a time where he could get himself hurt. That is why I am worried. See, my mom and dad are vampire hunters, too. Grandpa was an expert with this but retired. I would see a lot of vampire weapons in his room because he protects himself a lot."

"The Simpsons as vampire slayers?! That's- wow, that is crazy and a lot to take in. Lisa, I had no idea. So let me get this straight, is that why you and Bart told me to be careful?"

"Wait a minute, you said you weren't able to talk to him?" She gasped, "You lied! Why?"

Your white lie didn't work in your favor. "I only... Lisa, he told me that he didn't want you to know that I saw him at my job. He looked like he was in a rush. He always would say that you worry too much."

"Did he say more and please, tell me the truth!" Lisa pleaded.

"Okay, okay. Look, he was looking for something to wear, he asked if you got an invitation to Count Bob's party, he doesn't like the idea, and of course, he may try to crash it."

"That's Bart for you." Lisa's eyelids half closed like she was unamused and not surprised by Bart's behavior. "But I don't blame him. The party to me is still sketchy. I have a feeling that the vampire problem is coming from Count Bob's castle. I know it!"

"What?! I- I guess it makes sense. Walter is there, too! He's human, he would have burned from the sun! Hmmm, now that is weird."

"He's probably a lackey to help the other vampires there. Someone's got to carry the fork, right?"

"Yeah, you are definitely right. Hey, let's not worry about it too much. We can make a list of protection tools this week before the party." You gently patted Lisa's lap. "Everything will be okay. I am still trying to take this information in but I will keep this secret. I am sorry that I lied. I just wanted to keep a promise to Bart. You two are my best friends."

"I understand," Lisa sighed. "So what horror movie are we going to watch?"

"Let's watch two horror movies! Cut and Winnie The Pooh: Blood and Honey."

"Oh boy, the second movie you chose did not appeal to me."

"I have never watched it. Come on!"

"Alright, fine. I will get the popcorn." Lisa got up from the couch and headed to the kitchen. You can see that she is not a fan but as long as you were spending time with her, that's all it mattered to you. You still felt bad for keeping your mouth shut about Bart meeting you. Maybe you both will be able to find clues or maybe she will change her mind about finding her brother.