Dad

Dear Dad,

I don't know what to say. I disappointed you. As I always seem to do. I'm sorry for not being perfect. I'm sorry for not turning out the way you wished me to. But your standards were always so high. There was no way I could meet them.

I'm sorry. That's all I have to say. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry, Dad. I was a failure. In your eyes and mine. Mom thinks I'm gold. You and I think I'm the scum of the earth. But I don't hate you. I know sometimes you think I hate you, and, more often than not, I think you hate me. But I don't hate you. I never have. Yes, there were times when we argued and times when I wanted to never see you again. But those were mere moments of rage and anger that boiled up inside me and exploded. When the havoc was wreaked, I regretted it, all of my thoughts and actions. You weren't a bad father. But you are partially to blame for how I turned out, how I think of myself. But it's also my fault for believing everything you said. I absorbed your words like a sponge, filling up with your beliefs until I could hold no more. Then all your propaganda was squeezed out and I was left dry and damaged. I will always remember what it was like to be filled with those words, those thoughts. The memory of holding that like water, of soaking it up and not being able to stop it coming in or make it flood out will stay with me forever. And I'm angry at myself for believing every word you said, whether it was a joke or what you thought was right. Maybe we both deserved better.

I'm sorry.

Sam