Chapter 6: The Night Shift

As suddenly as you were out you awoke. Your head felt light and your vision was slightly blurry. There was a strip of duct tape over your mouth, muffling every word you spoke. You groaned and reached for your head.

However — you couldn't.

You found your hands were bound behind your back, along with your legs. Since you were facing a wall you couldn't get a good look at your surroundings. But you knew you were still in the pizzeria. Not many places have black-and-white checkered tiles.

On the bright side, you weren't bound to anything so you were able to somewhat move. You wiggled and shimmied your way to flip onto your other side. Now you were able to get a bigger picture of where you were.

It looked to be a security office. Large TVs or monitors were stacked in the far right corner and vents went along the walls. But what really sold it was the fact there was a man sitting at the desk flipping through the cameras.

There was no doubt about it, that's Afton.

No one's else would have the reason to kidnap you. Plus you were pretty sure there weren't any other British men in Hurricane during this time.

You were assuming he didn't know you were awake, since he hasn't turned around to snarkily greet you.

"Might as well make myself known to him." You shrugged. "Maybe he'll untie me?"

The duck tape was a piece of cake to remove. It's honestly such a cliche to use in a kidnapping. You spat it on the floor and trained your eyes on the chair in front of you.

"Y'know it's not nice to greet people with a rag of chloroform."

There was a longing pause before Afton spoke up.

"You're up earlier than I expected." Of course, he ignored your delightful remark. "How long was I out for?"

"About an hour — which is odd. The amount I used should've kept you out for the rest of my shift."

"It takes a lot to keep me down. Doctors say they needed twice the amount of anesthesia when I needed surgery."

"Good genetics." He said still not facing you. "I'm the same way."

You rolled your eyes and wiggled closer to the chair.

"By the way, you didn't have to tie me up. The chloroform I somewhat understand but —"

"Shhhh!"

Afton stuck out his index finger. With his other hand, Afton picked up a flashlight. The office lit up and it stayed like that for a good while.

Whatever it was he was looking at you wanted in. You shuffled over to the right and peeked around the desk. It was hard to see but you could've sworn you saw something in the hall.

Afton suddenly turned the light off, paused, then turned it on again.

The thing in the hall was gone now.

"What was that?"

Afton slightly turned his head and glanced back at you.

"The reason I tied you up." — "I can't risk them seeing you."

Before you could ask what Afton meant by "them"  he swiveled his chair around to face you.

"Y'know I thought you said you would never see me again?" He retorted, mocking your earlier statement.

"Ok, I know I said that but—"

Afton smirked and pushed his finger to your lips, shushing you again.