3 - To be Friends

"... Is that you?"

You hear someone shout your name behind you.

"Midoriya-san...?" you flash him a smile. "I didn't expect to see you here!" Actually, you were hoping to see him. "I almost forgot you go here!" That's a bold lie.

"Aha!" he smiles back. "Who's this?"

"Oh, this is my cousin!" you gesture towards Saburo. "He's in class 1-H, Yamanaka Saburo-kun."

"Nice to meet you!" Saburo practically salutes. "Please take care of my older cousin; she can be quite reckless, but she'll be a good wife!"

"I-it's not like that!" Midoriya jolts backward, quickly turning red from ears to toes. "W-we're n-not-"

"It's not like that, Saburo-kun," you lightly place your hand on Midoriya's shoulder in an attempt to calm him down. "We only met yesterday. I tried to kill myself so he-"

"YOU TRIED TO WHAT?!" they both shout in unison. They immediately begin to check you for injuries.

"I didn't know it was like that!! You lied to me!!!" Midoriya cries, giant tears already beginning to form.

"Oh, uh, sorry about that," you laugh nervously. How could you tell him you only lied to keep him from blubbering more? Damn slip of the tongue... "I guess I just..." you trail off into nothing, hoping his brain would finish the sentence for you and take the hint so you wouldn't have to say anything else that might hurt him worse.

"You never told me you were suicidal!" Saburo shook you violently. "You should've said something so I could plan your funeral!!"

"Ahahaha," you robotically laugh. "That is so funny. I am laughing so hard right now."

"You little bitch-" he lightly shoves you.

"Pfft- Oh so now he's not being the 'caring little cousin', huh?" you poke fun at him. "So much for worrying to death over me."

Realizing Midoriya had backed away a little from Saburo, you push Saburo off of you.

"Hey," you say to your friend. "Saburo is gonna be spending the weekend at my place, so I'll see his LEGO® face plenty. But I won't have as much time to hang out with you, so maybe we can chat for a bit before I take this kid home?"

("Kid?! You're only what, a year older than me?!")

Midoriya nods enthusiastically, "O-oh, y-yes, of course!" Once again, his face goes quite red. You come to the conclusion it's a mix of general social anxiety and the fact that it's a girl asking him to hang out. "I-I'll tell my mom right now!"

He quickly fumbles his phone and types something onto it.

Saburo leans in and whispers, "Dude, you're ditching me for your new boytoy?! Lame."

"Listen, he saved my ass from the voices yesterday, so he deserves some time. Go, I dunno, sit in an arcade. Or stalk us for all I care; just don't get caught..." you hiss back.

"Psh, yeah, whatever..."

You both snicker a little before Midoriya finishes texting on his phone.

"I can stay until s-seven," he nods.

"Cool," you say. "Now shoo, Saburo-kun."

As he walks away,  Saburo makes a motion you can only describe as what would be a kissy face... if he had a face. Sometimes, you wonder where the sound comes from... Better not to think about that.

"So, where to first, Midoriya-san?" you ask, smiling again. "You live in this city, so I assume you at least know what's around here to do?"

"U-um, about that..." he mumbles. "I don't really go out a lot, so... Umm..."