Chapter 12

Unexpectantly, I felt a rush of confidence as I walked into the school. No longer was anything holding me back from finishing my senior year with a bang. I'd looked forward to graduating since Hanna and I were in middle school and with everything in my rearview mirror, and the part of Trevor I loved tucked away deep in my heart, I was getting excited about this school year. Plus, Myles had slowly begun to occupy the space and there had become no room for them both. I would always love Trevor. But I needed to let him go.

"Its senior year, bitches!" I screamed when I saw Hanna taking books out of her locker. Cyrus stood beside her, confused.

"Myles really knows how to cheer you up." Cyrus teased, "What'd he do?"

I rolled my eyes, "Can't I just be excited?"

"No." Hanna said suspiciously as she and Cyrus exchanged looks.

"Hey, guys." Myles said, walking up to us. "Good morning, Elease with an E."

"Good morning, Myles with a Y." I chuckled, glad to bump into him before class.

"What the hell is this energy?" Hanna asked with a smile, 'Did something happen between you two?"

"Did something happen between you two?" Myles countered.

"Touché." She said, slamming her locker closed, "I've got a chem test to fail. See you guys later."

She and Myles poked their tongues out at each other before she scurried away, avoiding Cyrus who was laughing.

"Don't tease her like that," He chuckled. "She flusters easily."

"That's the only time I get to see her squirm," he giggled. "She makes everyone around her squirm. It's only fair."

The bell rang indicating the start of first period. After waving goodbye, Myles and Cyrus headed towards their classroom, shoving each other back and forth.

The rest of the day went by smoothly until lunch. When I got to the usual lunch table, Hanna was squeezing the life out of a milk carton, her eyes filled with rage.

"What's going on?" I asked, sitting beside Myles, my eyes on the chocolate milk running down her fingers.

"I don't think she likes that too much." He responded, bringing my attention to Raquel and Cyrus who were having what looked like a private conversation by the vending machines. Raquel had always been shy. Even now she twiddled with her thumbs while talking to Cyrus.

"I'm going to strangle her." Hanna said dropping the carton and standing up.

"Wait a minute." I said pulling her back down, "Why're you always resorting to violence?"

"I already threatened her with laundry duty all year and that didn't work." She sighed sadly.

"Wow," Myles said. "And I thought you were scary before."

Cyrus started in our direction, and we all turned our heads away acting as if we didn't see a thing. Hanna, however, did not. She stared at him even when he sat down, opening his bag of chips and stuffing one into his mouth.

"What?" He asked her, his mouthful.

"What?" She asked mocking him, then, "What was that all about with Raquel?"

Cyrus laughed so loud the people at tables nearby started to look in our direction.

"She needed directions." He joked.

"Don't play with me, Cyrus." She said, leaning closer across the table, "Did she ask you out?"

"Why do you care so much?" He asked, raising a brow.

Hanna sat down in her seat and turned away from him. And for the first time in her life, I saw a sense of determination wash over her face.

"Because I love you." She admitted, "And if Raquel tried to hit on you, I'm going to kick her ass."

Cyrus stopped laughing and his eyes went to the side of her face. He clearly wasn't expecting her to finally admit it. I could read it all over his face. But he smiled and put another chip into his mouth, concealing the wide grin.

"I love you too," He told her. "So, spare the ass whopping you had planned for Raquel."

Hanna twisted her lips, hiding her smile as well, "Fine. She's safe for now."

Myles and I exchanged looks before the two us laugh causing all four of us to laugh hysterically. I was glad that they'd finally come clean to each other.

"What happened to your milk carton?" Cyrus asked, picking it up.

"She thought it was Raquel." I said, seriously.

"Makes sense." Cyrus said as the three of us exchanged nods. Hanna was back to her normal self, stuffing down two cheeseburgers as if she hadn't eaten all day.

Although I had been looking forward to school now, Remy was still in my seventh period. I had hoped she'd remain in the back of the room, but when I walked in, she was seated in the seat behind me. I sighed as I sat down next to Myles. I truly had no energy for this girl.

"Hey, Ellie." She said softly.

I ignored her, hoping that should give up on her pursuit of trying to disturb my peace. The good girl bad girl act she put on was too much for me. I was over it.

"Ellie." She called.

I swung around in my seat, "What, Remy? What can I possibly do for you?"

"You could stop hating me so much." She stated, "We don't have to be friends, but the tension could be cut with a knife."

I looked at her confusedly, "There is no tension, Remy. I actually want to thank you."

"For what?" She asked, a smile forming.

"For being you," I told her truthfully. "It took me a while to understand my feelings after everything. But you really opened my eyes."

"Okay, well we're cool then." She said, stupidly flicking her hair over her shoulders.

I gave her a fake smile, "Totally."

"Some people are a lost cause." Cyrus whispered to me when the class started. "How is she in this class?"

"I was just thinking that." Myles added.

I nodded in agreement. When class was over, Myles stood up and reached his hand out to me, this time his eyes glued to mine.

"May I?" He asked with more confidence than last time.

I smiled, "You may."

Remy's jaw dropped when she saw us walk out hand in hand. A couple people we passed seemed somewhat excited. The looks I received from the girls on the squad told me that they were happy for me. When we met Hanna outside, her face lit up.

"I knew something happened." She teased.

"It's been happening." Cyrus said, swinging his arm around her shoulder. "We should go out somewhere."

"I could eat." Hanna shrugged acting as if she weren't happy about Cyrus' arm around her.

"You're always hungry," I pointed out. "We can eat while we have fun."

"It is Friday night," Myles offered. 'You guys could come over and we could cook some burgers on the beach. My dad won't mind."

"He over loves company." I chuckled thinking about his reaction upon seeing us arrive at Shane's birthday party. He's hosted the whole time, never losing his smile. He had the same one as Myles.

"Alright, sounds like a plan. Catch you guys, later." Cyrus said before pulling Hanna away with him. She looked back at me with a smile I'd never seen before, "See you later, Ellie."