Chapter 1

May 13, 2018

Toni

"Elijah, come here!" I yelled from my bedroom.

I buckled Jayla in her car seat and turned around to see Elijah standing in the doorway. I rolled my eyes and signaled for him to come to me.

"Why'd you roll your eyes at me?" He laughed.

"Because you unfortunately have Janet's whole face." I answered, picking up the car seat and handing it to him.

"Aw, you miss her?" He asked, trying to be funny.

I side-eyed him and grabbed a diaper bag. "Be glad I'm a changed woman. I would've popped you upside your head for asking me that."

We walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. I sat the diaper bag on the counter and checked inside to make sure everything was there. I felt arms wrap around my waist and turned around to see Janet behind me.

I jumped back and held my chest. "Why the hell are you in my house?" I asked seriously.

"This is my house...so I have a key," she answered with a smile.

That smile pisses me off. Every time she does it, she's trying to be a smartass. "Back up off me."

She took two steps back and kept that same smirk on her face. I looked at her with a straight face and rolled my eyes. I went to grab the diaper bag to give it to her, but she put her hand on top of mine, making me pull my hand away.

"Momma she goin hit you. I think that's enough." Elijah warned.

"I sure am. Touch me again."

She held up her finger and brought it towards me, but didn't touch me.

"Janet get out of here."

She pulled out one of my bar chairs and sat down. I wasn't even about to argue with her, so I just headed back to my bedroom, saying bye to Elijah before I did.

I don't like when she plays and thinks everything is a joke, because there isn't anything happy or funny about our relationship. We're separated but not divorced...yet. It's been 3 months since our separation, and we have to be separated for a year before getting a divorce.

The only time we see each other now is when it pertains to the kids. They're the only reason we even still communicate, because if it weren't for them, I wouldn't talk to her at all.

I still have love for her... of course, we've been through too much for me not to, but I don't like her. Our split was entirely too much for me. After all we've been through together, I couldn't believe this is how we'd end up. It was worse than the first time we split, probably because I had just had Jayla and had some postpartum depression. She would try to check on me during that time, but seeing her face only made things worse. She was the whole reason I was sad in the first place. What she did was wrong, and she knows it. She just won't admit that.

I heard a knock on the door and looked up to see Janet walking into my room.

"Janet get out; I'm serious. What don't you get?" I said firmly but quietly.