Chapter 23

Toni

I was awoken out of my sleep by the sounds of Jayla crying. She's gotten better and normally doesn't wake up this early in the morning screaming, but these past few days she's been waking up in the middle of the night, and I don't know why.

My head hurts, my body aches, and I've felt like this for a few days now. From past experiences, I should feel a bit better in a couple more days, but to me, that's a long time.

I rolled over and turned on the lamp. Today is slightly worse than the last few days have been, and I hate to wake Elijah up, but I really can't do much other than that.

"Elijah!" I yelled, hoping he'd hear me.

He's normally up around this time since he's starting back football, but that means he would have to hear me all the way downstairs.

Jayla's cry's continued and you would think she hadn't eaten in days. She's probably not even hungry, just wants to be picked up.

"Elij-"

The door opened, and it was Janet. She came in and got Jayla out of her crib, causing her to quiet down, and eventually stop.

"When did you get here?" I asked.

She walked to the bedside and sat down. "Last night. I came to drop off Elijah some of his gear and decided to stay to check on you in the morning."

I reached my arms out for Jayla, and she handed her to me. "Why didn't you come up here?"

"It was almost midnight. I thought you would probably be asleep." She answered, laying sideways on the bed.

I laughed to myself. "I couldn't sleep."

"Why not?"

Jayla yawned, and when I looked down, she was back to sleep.

"I didn't feel good. You know how it gets."

She turned on her stomach and looked at me. "You should've called me. I would've been here no matter the time."

Last night, I thought about doing that, but I didn't. Things are just different now.

"I didn't want to bother you; I knew I'd fall asleep eventually," I said softly.

"No, no, no, listen, you can call me anytime. You're still my wife; things like that haven't changed. I'll always make time."

"That's the thing. You haven't been making time. I've just gotten used to doing and getting through these things by myself over the past few months because I had to. I know you told me you'd be here more, and I believe you. I just...I don't know."

When I needed her the most in these past months, she wasn't here, and I learned to just deal with that. Now that she is, I'm still in my ways of trying to get through things on my own.

She sighed and sat up. "Listen, I'm here, and I want to be." She told me. "I want us to get back to where we were before all of this. It's the best thing for everybody."

I nodded. "Yeah, I know you do, and I do too. It's just gonna take some getting used to again that's all."

She cleared her throat. "So basically that means move your stuff back in here and live together again?"

I laughed. "That is not what that means, you're pushing it."

"So you haven't missed me?"

I rolled my eyes. "You're putting words in my mouth." I scooted Jayla up on my chest and shrugged.

"You might as well have said that, but fine whatever."

She got up and stretched.

"We practically live together already. I'm here all the time." I pointed out.

"Ma!" Elijah yelled from downstairs.

"What?"

"Come here!"

"Boy, you come up here!" She yelled back.

She scoffed. "He must be crazy thinking I'm walking all the way down there."

Janet

I heard Elijah coming up the stairs, and I sat back down on the bed. When he came into the room, his eyes immediately locked on Jayla.

"Nope, you can have her when she gets up. I'm not going to risk her waking up." Toni said before he could ask.

He smacked his lips. "Anyway, can I go to a basketball game with CJ on Friday?" He asked. "I gotta know now so I can get the tickets. It's at my school."

"They still play during the summer?" I asked.

He nodded. "Yeah,"

I haven't really let him go anywhere lately because of the threats Keri has made, and I wasn't really planning on changing that, but it's a school event. Plus, it's summer break, and I don't want him in the house the whole time.

"Who all is going with you?"

He looked at the time on his phone. "CJ and Armon."

I shrugged. "Alright,"

"Good, cause I already had the tickets."

Toni quietly laughed. "What if she said no?"

"Right, what if I did?" I asked in disbelief.

"I don't know, but you didn't, so..."

Now I'm thinking I should've said no.

"That is your child," Toni said.

Definitely is.

Short chapter, but wtv😶