Chapter 14

Janet

Today is the first night of my tour. I can't say I'm in the best mood though, and I need to be by tonight. Everything going on personally just sucks. Everyone knows it because my expression shows it. I can't have the audience see that.

"J," Gil said, making me turn towards him.

"How you feeling?"

I shrugged and sat up in my chair. "I don't know...I mean, I'm excited, but—" I trailed off.

"E?" He stood in front of me, and I looked up at him.

"...Yeah," my eyes watered, and with my makeup already on, that's not good.

Gil quickly grabbed a tissue and put it under my eye. "Unt uh bitch, don't mess this makeup up," he warned.

I fanned my face and looked up. "Dammit Gil, you started it," I laughed.

"Well just forget I asked," he said, taking the tissue away from my eye.

He brushed it over my lip and sucked his teeth. "She really boxed your shit. Maybe you should get that checked out because it looks painful and it ain't going away. Hell, you might need stitches."

"It's fine."

I looked in the mirror and pulled my lip down to see it. It was still a pretty bad cut. When she hit my lip, my teeth cut into it. I thought it would be fine until a bruise darkened the area. That's why I had makeup on it at the award show, but now it's just a bad cut on the inside. I can deal with it.

"Didn't you say it was bleeding the other day?"

"Gil, it's fine."

I heard a knock on the door, and we both looked at it. When it opened, Toni walked in with Jayla.

"Damn, he doesn't even wanna see me huh?" I asked, shaking my head, referring to Elijah.

"We were just talking about you." Gil said.

Jayla smiled and reached out her arms to me, which she's starting to do a lot. For four months, she does a lot.

I picked her up, and she immediately laid her head on my shoulder.

"Why?" Toni asked with a confused look on her face.

"How you must've thought you were Ali hitting my best friend like that," he raised his hand to point at my lip.

She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "I had my reasons, but... I did already apologize for it."

"It wasn't sincere," I shot back.

"Well, I said it,"

I scoffed and shook my head. "Whatever Toni."

"Anyway, we just came to tell you good luck. I didn't come here to argue." She said.

I forced a smile. "Thank you,"

All I can do now is try to push those thoughts to the back of my head.