7 - The East Wind

The ride to Olympia Lane was oddly quiet.

“Hey, Harry?” I asked suddenly.

“Yeah?” He didn’t bother taking his eyes away from the changing road.

I moved to the middle of the backseat and leaned up on the passenger seat. I wasn’t concerned about seatbelts. “Do you ever visit with your grandfather?”

“Yeah,” he answered glancing at me. “He’s always busy though with being the messenger of the gods and all.”

I didn’t really know his pain. My grandfather didn’t seem to ever leave me alone. “When are you going to see him next?”

“Probably at the Thanksgiving party,” Harry replied and my eyes went wide.

“I forgot all about that!”  

Harry looked over at me. “Come on, the gods use any holiday to throw a party. How could you possibly forget?”

I shrugged. “I guess I had other things to worry about.”

I felt the car come to a halt. “Well will you be there?”

“Is it November already?” I questioned still unable to believe it.

Harry nodded and I thanked him as I exited the car. No one had to pay to use Harry’s services.

I walked into my house not caring who was home. I immediately hung up my jacket in the closet which caught the attention of Psyche.

“Peyton!” She grabbed me into a bear hug.

“Grandma,” I greeted trying to breathe. She let me go and studied me as if she hadn’t seen me in years. She had a wide grin on her beautiful face.

“Your grandfather and I were just speaking about you,” Psyche gushed.

“Really?” I asked uncaringly.

Psyche nodded. “Yes, come and eat something!”

Psyche really embraced motherhood then grandmother-hood when the time came. She was always one to stuff food into her guest’s face even if they had just eaten. She had perfected her cooking skill a long time ago. After all, she has had many years of practice.

Psyche set me down at the dining room table then brought in a plate of cookies along with a glass of milk in a true grandmotherly way. I took one, broke it in half, and dipped it into the milk before taking a bite. It was a peanut butter cookie with chocolate chips in it.

“You looked stressed dear,” Psyche commented sitting down across from me.

I sighed. “I’m not, I just have to go to the library and look up some files.”

“The library is huge,” Psyche pointed out.

“I know,” I mumbled finishing my cookie. “Where’s Eros?”

“Finishing a job I’m sure,” Psyche replied with a wave of her hand.

I nodded and took another cookie before I stood. “I’m going to head over to the library now, just to get started. I’ll be back tonight to pass out.”

Psyche nodded. “I will save some dinner for you!”

“Okay.” I grabbed my jacket from the hall closet and walked back into the kitchen to another cookie for the road before I said goodbye to Psyche.

I hailed the cab from outside and while I waited, I finished off the wonderful dessert in my hands. When the cab pulled up, I opened the door but instead of Harry it was his brother Henry.