24 - Valentines Ball Part 1

“No, no, no!” I yelled waving my clipboard around. “The refreshment table is going to go over there in that corner.”

“It’s an oval room Miss,” one worker pointed out. “There are no corners.”

I sighed frustrated with this already. “Fine, just put it over there.”

“Yes Miss.” He nodded picking up the table and moving it away from me.

I checked off some more things on my clipboard as I looked around the huge oval room. It was just as big as the Hall of the Gods and was styled with old Greek architecture.  It was a huge dome with a beautiful painted ceiling of Dionysus.

There were pink streamers around the many columns holding up the roof. There were also hearts everywhere in the three different colors. Everything was so pink that I wouldn’t doubt if that was the only color I ever saw for the rest of my life.

“What do you think?” Phobos asked walking over to me.

“I think I’ve seen enough pink to last me a lifetime.”

Deimos appeared. “Well, you might want to rethink that.”

“Why?”

Deimos and Phobos exchanged glances. “The dress code is pink, red, and white.”

I groaned loudly. “Great.”

“This place is great,” Eros agreed coming up from behind me. I gave him a forced smile wishing that this party would just be over already. “Do you know what you are wearing?”

“Oh!” I clutched my forehead. “I forgot to plan that far ahead.”

Eros smiled. “Thankfully I did.”

“Oh no,” I denied shaking my head. “I always pick my own dress.”

“This year, I’m going to assure that everyone in our family is wearing the same color,” Eros said crossing his arms over his chest.

“So everyone is wearing white like I do every year?” I asked hopefully.

Eros shook his head then motioned for me to come with him. I left the rest of the check list to Phobos as I followed Eros into Henry’s cab and we returned home. He didn’t speak a word the entire ride which only frightened me of what was to come.

At home, Eros led me into my room which didn’t look any different. He motioned for me to sit down and I did so, on my bed.

Then he slowly opened my closet where I swear a drum roll could be heard. As soon as the door was swung opened, a big ball gown popped out and my eyes went wide.

“There is no way I’m wearing that!”

Eros frowned. “Why not?”

“It’s pink!”

Eros nodded. “Of course it’s pink. It’s for Valentine’s Day.”

“But-but, that’s hot pink,” I shouted clearly disgusted. The dress wasn’t a light almost white kind of pink. Nope, it was a bright unmistakably hot pink with roses all over it.

“It is the Cupid family color this year,” Eros informed taking the dress out of the closet and holding it by the hanger. It was even worse when he held it up.

It had off the shoulder straps and a corset-like top. The top had beautiful silver sparkly designs and the bottom was huge and full of ruffles like something a princess might wear. Despite the bright color, it was very beautiful.

“How much does that thing weigh?”

Eros sighed shoving the dress onto my lap. “You are wearing this tonight whether you like it or not.”